BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 3rd, 2024, 9:26pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Bird Identification 鳥類辨識
(Moderators: BBS Moderators, Yat-tung YU)
   Grey Crowned Warbler?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Grey Crowned Warbler?  (Read 903 times)
Tony
BBS Member
BBS Full Member

I love bird watching!

Grey Crowned Warbler?
« on: Mar 31st, 2006, 11:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Is there anyone can tell me whether the bird I seen is a Grey Crowned Warbler? I went with my friends Vivian and Chole to Lung Fu Shan at HKU and saw a warbler twice in undergrowth of a bamboo forest. The warbler looked actually the same as Grey Crowned Warbler.

The bird has very clear grey crown with thick black crown stripe and yellow eye ring. It has bright yellow bellied contrast to the green back. There is no wing bar on the bird and the tail appear with some white color.

Since I have seen a Bianchi's Warbler in New Territories in December last year which has clear yellow bar on its wing, so it can't be a Bianchi's. Would it be very possible a Grey Crowned Warbler?

Sorry that I can't take the photo of the bird since it flew so fast.
miket
BBS Member
BBS God

I'd rather be birding!

Re: Grey Crowned Warbler?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 1st, 2006, 8:47am »

It could have been White-spectacled Warbler, which has occurred in HK at least twwice. The race in South China has an irregularly shaped yellow eye-ring, "battleship grey" crwon and sides, with black lateral crown stripes, and, in my experience a notably bright yellow belly. Can't remember wing-bars or white in tail.

This is part of an extremely difficult group.

There may be photos of White-spectacled elsewhere on this BBS, unless they got wiped off in the hacking incident last year.

Mike Turnbull
miket
BBS Member
BBS God

I'd rather be birding!

« Reply #2 on: Apr 1st, 2006, 8:48am »

Sorry, forgot to ask where exactly was it at HKU?

Mike Turnbull
Tony
BBS Member
BBS Full Member

I love bird watching!

« Reply #3 on: Apr 2nd, 2006, 5:31pm »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your comment. I can't find photos about the white spectabled warbler. the book describes White spectacled warbler has bolder wing bar than Bianchi's warbler. But the warbler we seen don't have any wing bar at all.

I think you might know the road of Brown Headed thrush. Don't enter the thrush road,but keep walk down stairs until you find a small road on the left which you need to cross the metal bridge. Keep walk up the rock road and turn right until you see there are two ways to choose.  
Walk forward, pass the bridge(the place of first record of Ferruginous Flycatcher in HKU two weeks ago) and you will see a park. Turn right to pass a pavilion. You will see a road to a bamboo forest on you left. The warbler is out there.

Tony
深藍 Owen
BBS Administrator

LOVE KINGFISHER~!

339353245 339353245    

« Reply #4 on: Apr 2nd, 2006, 6:03pm »

Tony, some white spectabled warbler for you.

http://www.orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?action=searchresult&Bir d_ID=1872&PHPSESSID=aef6d300f50246ac59c587ab5bb4c09f

BBS Member
BBS Full Member

I love bird watching!

« Reply #5 on: Apr 2nd, 2006, 10:46pm »

Thanks Owen,
The bird is quite clear but the warbler i seen had thicker and darker eye stripe. And the color on the back seem too drak green for the bird i seen. Maybe it the light effect.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.