BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 3rd, 2024, 9:27pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Bird Identification 鳥類辨識
(Moderators: BBS Moderators, Yat-tung YU)
   Frigatebird sp
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Frigatebird sp  (Read 918 times)
geoff_welch
BBS Member
BBS God

I love Po Toi

Frigatebird sp
« on: May 5th, 2006, 10:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Po Toi
3/5/2006

This frigatebird was around Po Toi for about 5 hours on Wednesday. I marked it as an immature Lesser because of the white spurs on the underwing and comparison of size with Black Kite. Is it?
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2006, 10:26pm by geoff_welch » Logged
miket
BBS Member
BBS God

I'd rather be birding!

Re: Frigatebird sp
« Reply #1 on: May 6th, 2006, 11:49am »

I think this is Lesser, apparently a fairly young one which has not yet lost its breastband and is thus juvenile or first stage immature (perhaps to be taken as the same thing), and certainly not yet second stage immature, to use the aging terminology employed by Robson in Birds of SE Asia.

Mike Turnbull
Mike  Chalmers
BBS Member
BBS Newbie

Email

Re: Frigatebird sp
« Reply #2 on: May 20th, 2006, 2:50pm »

Dear Geoff,

Agree with Mike T that this is a first stage Lesser Frigatebird. The prominent white axillary spurs indicate it can only be either an immature Lesser or Christmas Island Frigatebird. The size comparison with Black Kite shows it be a Lesser, whereas Great and Christmas are significantly larger and heavier all round. Other pointers to Lesser are the shape of the white underparts with the spurs level with the rear of the breast band, the white on breast and belly forming a neat triangle with the point against the dark lower belly. The white on first stage Christamas usually appears larger and wider and extends lower down to vent.

For pics and comparison of all 3 frigatebirds in HK, see paper in 1998 HK Bird Report.

Mike Chalmers [= Mike C]
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.