BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 4th, 2024, 1:18pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Birding Reports & Tips 觀鳥報告及心得
(Moderators: BBS Moderators, Webcreeper)
   Ng Tung Chai
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Ng Tung Chai  (Read 735 times)
Mike Kilburn
Committee Member
BBS God

Ng Tung Chai
« on: Dec 21st, 2003, 11:35am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This morning at Ng Tung Chai :

Red-flanked Bluetail 2
Lesser Shortwing - 1 (h)
Pygmy -Wren Babbler - 1 (h)
Grey-backed Thrush - 1
White's Thrush - 1
Mountain Bush Warbler (AKA Brownish-flanked)
Asian Stubtail - 1  
Blyth'slaef Warbler - 1
Two-barred Greenish Warbler - 1 (seen well, eating caterpillar)
Yellow-browed Warbler - 1  
Pallas's Leaf Warbler - 6
Tristram's Bunting  - 1
Grey Treepie -1  

Also  possible Brown Thrush was seen  by TH and Matthew Kwan and mr and Mrs Hung.

Mike Kilburn
Vice Chairman
Chairman - ConservationCommittee
HKBWS
TH_Kwan
BBS Member
BBS Full Member

I love bird watching!

Email

Re: Ng Tung Chai
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21st, 2003, 11:41pm »

We had a good view of the Brown Flush today in Ng Tung Chai at around 7:30am, at a tree just opposite the huge grave between the village and Man Tak Yuen.  After viewing the video clips, we are convinced that it was indeed a Brown Flush. There were no streak along its side to suggest female Grey-backed Thrush. The head and the throat were blackish, definitely no eyebrow. The beak is blackish with the lower beak a bit yellowish black.  There were prominent brownish flank meeting in front of the chest while the vent and belly were whitish.  
I can't think of another thrush that can have the above features apart from Brown Thrush.  
We are delighted to know that it is indeed almost the rarest thrush to be seen during winter in Hong Kong.  

Unfortunately, we did not have enough time to take a photo.  We may show the video clips later for those who are interested.  

We are fascinated by the excellent bio-diversity demonstrated in Ng Tung Chai.  

Cheers.  
gjcarey
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 22nd, 2003, 4:24pm »

Would it be possible for you to post a frame from your video of the Brown Thrush here on the website?

Geoff Carey
TH_Kwan
BBS Member
BBS Full Member

I love bird watching!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 22nd, 2003, 10:44pm »

I am posting this photo by a very primitive method.  
The picture is taken with a digital camera capturing the still display via the TV screen. I haven't got the software needed to manipulate the images taken by the videocamera. But at least it gives you some idea about the bird.http://community.webshots.com/s/image2/3/53/2/105935302VgOloN_ph.jpg

? 赤腹鶇 Brown Thrush
Ng Tung Chai 梧桐寨
21/12/2003 7:30am
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2003, 11:14pm by Forrest FONG » Logged
gjcarey
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 12:11pm »

I think you'll find that this is a 1st winter male Grey-backed Thrush. The upperparts are rather grey, the throat appears dark (but it is actually spotted greyish), and the orange across the chest is not broad, nor does it appear to meet in the centre.

Geoff
TH_Kwan
BBS Member
BBS Full Member

I love bird watching!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 24th, 2003, 10:44pm »

Dear Geoff,  

Thank you for your correction. I thought the absence of grey patch over the chest plus the absence of a yellow bill spoke against the diagnosis of a male Grey-backed while the absence of streak over the flank spoke against the diagnosis of a female Grey-backed. But I did not realize that the presence of brown patch in the middle is a must even for juvenile Brown Thrush.  

What I can learn from this is that:  The identification of juvenile birds is often very challenging.  That needs a lot of ACTUAL  field experiences. Descriptions of juveniles are often not availlable in common field guides, especially for uncommonly seen species. One cannot "reason out" the answer by exclusion basing on existing field guides alone.  

I think it would be interesting to have a collection of photo showing the juveniles of various species. I guess many experienced birders can help to contribute photo for this purpose. This can be a great help to field identification of various species for serious bird watchers. For example, it was only until recently did I learn that the juvenile of Black-throated Laughing Thrush does not have a white cheek!  

Hope I can eventually encounter a real Brown Thrush in the field soon.

Cheers.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.