BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | ¤¤¤å
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 4th, 2024, 3:42am

HKBWS BBS ­» ´ä Æ[ ³¾ ·| ·s »D ²Õ
   Discussion Area °Q½×°Ï
   Birding Reports & Tips Æ[³¾³ø§i¤Î¤ß±o
(Moderators: BBS Moderators, Webcreeper)
   White-shouldered Starling - false nest ¦Ç­IÙʳ¾¡G¬¾³¾¦³Âù±_?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: White-shouldered Starling - false nest ¦Ç­IÙʳ¾¡G¬¾³¾¦³Âù±_?  (Read 913 times)
Carrie Ma
BBS Member
BBS God

White-shouldered Starling - false nest ¦Ç­IÙʳ¾¡G¬¾³¾¦³Âù±_?
« on: May 21st, 2005, 9:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

A breeding pair of White-Shouldered Starling was found at Kam Tin (location undisclose) today.  

The Avifauna of Hong Kong mentions that "...It is not clear, however, why this species is now absent as a breeding species from such locations as Lam Tsuen valley, Kam Tin or Ho Chung where traditional village architecture exists alongside open country and agricultural land. However, historical data are scarce from such locations and it may never have been a common bird in these areas...". From the information of recent Hong Kong Bird Report, there were confirmed breeding records at Fung Lok Wai (HKBR 1998), Cheung Chau (HKBR 1997), Mui Wo, Lok On Pai, Tao O, Nam Sang Wai, Cape D'Aguilar and Shek O (HKBR 1996).  

Please advise whether there is any breeding record of the bird in recent years.

There was some interesting observation, share with members.  

There is a "false nest (°°±_)" (? in a broken box),  adjacent to a real nest. It seems the purpose is to confuse predators / enemies. The bird stayed in front of the "false nest", "pretended" preening and kept paying attention to the surrounding, then flew quickly into the box on the right where the nest actually located. This repeated for 4 times within half an hour (3:00-3:30pm).

Please correct me if this is wrong. The pictures below show the observation:

The bird stayed in front of the "false nest" and looked around. The nest looked like a loosely gathered platform of sticks.  

Preening and then moved quickly to the right. This was repeated for 4 times.

The red arrow shows the moving direction of the starling.

The real nest is inside the box.  

I think there are chicks inside the box, as the parents repeatly brought food (grasshoppers and unidentified insects) to the box.

I worried whether they will be disturbed by dumping activities, as it is observed there is newly dumped mud nearby.  

« Last Edit: May 21st, 2005, 11:57pm by Webcreeper » Logged
Gary
BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

I love bird watching!

Email

Re: White-shouldered Starling - false nest ¦Ç­IÙʳ
« Reply #1 on: May 21st, 2005, 11:47pm »

Carrie,

A pair of White-shouldered Starling breed in Ma Tso Lung for 2 consecutive years. They also nest inside the "electric box" at the same location though the origin "electric box" has been replaced by another new one with transparent plastic window. It seems they perfer electric box in Hong Kong!

I guess the birds in Kam Tin didn't make a false nest to distract enemy. Instead, I think the false nest is an abandoned one. Why it preen outside the false nest is because it's an advantageous position to watch the surrounding environment but not wilfully pretending.

I believe they are not only 2 locations they breed. Open areas in Northwest NT are their potential breeding sites.

Gary

Carrie Ma
BBS Member
BBS God

« Reply #2 on: May 22nd, 2005, 12:06am »

Thanks Gary
johnallcock
BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

« Reply #3 on: May 23rd, 2005, 12:00pm »

There are actually quite a few pairs of White-shouldered starlings nesting at Kam Tin this year - probably about 15-20 pairs.  Most are now feeding chicks, and most (all?) are in this type of electricity box.  Some nests have started fledging already.
Similar numbers have bred at Kam Tin at least since 2003 but originally most bred in a large tree, which seems not to have any nests this year.

There is also a pair of White-cheeked starlings nesting this year in the Kam Tin area, the first time they have bred in Hong Kong.  They are also nesting in the same type of electricity box.  It would appear the chicks have just hatched, as they have recently started taking food into the nest.  

By the way, the other nest you saw is not a 'false nest'.  Another pair built the nest while there was a front cover on the box, but this seems to have fallen off (I think during the storms a couple of weeks ago) leaving the nest exposed, and the nest has been abandoned.
Captain
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 23rd, 2005, 2:59pm »

I saw some White-shouldered Starlings at the Stonecutters in Apr/ May 2000. No nests were seen but some young birds were found. Not sure whether they breed there.

BTW, if CLP power box is their preferred home, then HKBWS may consider to write a letter to CLP saying that some birds are breeding there and so any regular maintainance could be undertaken after the breeding season.

Captain
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

­» ´ä Æ[ ³¾ ·|
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS ­» ´ä Æ[ ³¾ ·| ·s »D ²Õ » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.