BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 3rd, 2024, 9:17pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Birding Reports & Tips 觀鳥報告及心得
(Moderators: Webcreeper, BBS Moderators)
   Ho Chung 蠔涌 2005 Winter 冬
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Ho Chung 蠔涌 2005 Winter 冬  (Read 4009 times)
Andrew
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

Re: Ho Chung 蠔涌 2005 Winter 冬
« Reply #45 on: Jan 8th, 2006, 4:04pm »

An afternoon in the upper woods at Ho Chung today produced only one bird of note, a female Black-naped monarch where the stream runs across the path off to the left of the main track. Lots of activity but poor light and difficult to get onto things again.  
Andrew
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

« Reply #46 on: Jan 14th, 2006, 4:13pm »

Another visit to Ho Chung wood this afternoon - usual story - lots of activity but hard to see much. You do have to work hard for a decent return here. Chestnut bulbuls are common and today's birds of note were Grey-cheeked fulvetta and Cattle egret (lower down the valley) in breeding plumage.
Andrew
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

« Reply #47 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 1:04pm »

A mid morning visit to the woods produced an Orange-bellied leafbird (juvenile), Fork-tailed sunbird (male) and possibly a Sulphur-breasted warbler although it was hard to see well - but definitely very bright yellow underparts and a crown stripe and a prominent white eyering (but NOT a Japanese white-eye!!).
miket
BBS Member
BBS God

I'd rather be birding!

« Reply #48 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 9:22pm »

Hi Andrew,

Sulphur-breasted Warbler isn't on the HK List anymore and all such Phylloscs with yellow underparts are assumed to be Blyth's Leaf Warblers of the taxon goodsoni, which is a Northern Guangdong breeder (eg at Ba Bao Shan) and which may be a valid split at species level - you may have seen it referred to as "Goodson's Leaf Warbler e.g. in the Ng Tung Chai thread.  

It does have yellow underparts, and a yellow (?) crown stripe with very well-marked black(ish?) lateral stripes, but the white eye-ring is difficult to make fit. Seicercus warblers need to be considered, but in S. China, I think it's right to say they all have yellow eye-rings, even the White-spectacled Warblers.

You had more than I had on a late afternoon visit yesterday, when I saw absolutely nothing of note.

Mike Turnbull.
Andrew
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

« Reply #49 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 9:40pm »

Thank Mike. It was very difficult to get a good view of it - typical phyllosc. I was standing on a rock in the middle of the stream looking back to the trees and bushes on the bank behind me. It was constantly moving in and out of view. It disappeared quickly when a group of Happy Wanderers came along, knapsacks on their backs, radios and voices blaring out, presumably enjoying the peace and tranquility of a day walking in the countryside.  
Andrew
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

« Reply #50 on: Jan 27th, 2006, 8:29pm »

Not from Ho Chung but from my home in Clearwater Bay I heard my first Collared Scops Owl this evening. I understand they are common and widespread but it is still a welcome addition to my home list (such as it is).

I checked it against an old CD I have which has 78 tracks on it of HK birds - I don't know where I got it from but presumably it was on sale when I was last in HK
Andrew
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

« Reply #51 on: Jan 29th, 2006, 4:44pm »

WARNING

I walked up through the woods today and the paths were like glass - very slippery and several times I almost fell despite wearing good 'grippy' walking shoes. The birds were very elusive and sadly there was nothing of note to report.
Andrew
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

« Reply #52 on: Jan 30th, 2006, 5:57pm »

A record shot from this afternoon's walk in the valley.

Gorgeous weather but not great for birding - female Blackbird and Daurian redstart , male Stonechat, Hair-crested drongo, a pair of Common buzzards, much as usual.
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.