BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 3rd, 2024, 9:18pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Birding Reports & Tips 觀鳥報告及心得
(Moderators: Webcreeper, BBS Moderators)
   Ho Chung 蠔涌 2006 Spring 春
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Ho Chung 蠔涌 2006 Spring 春  (Read 1465 times)
Andrew
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

Ho Chung 蠔涌 2006 Spring 春
« on: Feb 19th, 2006, 11:56am »

For some reason I couldn't seem to post to the old thread. Anyway 18/19 Feb 2006. Whilst everyone [?] else heads for Po Toi I have worked the woods at Ho Chung again.

18th (p.m.) birds of note were Orange-bellied leafbird (male) and Grey-backed thrush

19th (9am-11am)  

Daurian redstart (F) 2
Grey-cheeked fulvetta
Rufous-capped babbler
Fork-tailed sunbird (M+F)
Grey-headed flycatcher 1
White-bellied yuhina (my first record at this site) - small flock of 3-4 birds
Grey-backed thrush
Chestnut bulbul

Andrew
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2006, 10:12pm by Webcreeper » Logged
Andrew
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

Re: Ho Chung 蠔涌 2006 Spring 春
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 1:19pm »

22nd Feb 2006  9am -12.00

2 Crested serpent eagles
1 unidentified accipiter
Scarlet minivet - male
House swift
White-bellied yuhina
Blue-winged minla
Yellow-browed warbler
Grey-headed flycatcher
Grey-backed thrush
Greater necklaced laughingthrush
Grey cheeked fulvetta
Chestnut bulbul
Daurian redstart - male
Grey wagtail
Andrew
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 2:57pm »

24th February 2006

Despite spending a lot of time listening I hardly saw a thing this morning. I did see a Blyth's leaf warbler (goodsoni) and the usual Grey-backed thrush. The most interesting sighting was a bird I have seen before which, based on all the fieldguides I have, seems likely to be a female Siberian blue robin. If anyone else sees this I'd appreciate a second opinion.
miket
BBS Member
BBS God

I'd rather be birding!

« Reply #3 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 6:18pm »

Hi Andrew,

Can you give location details for your possible Blue Robin, please.

I may be able to have a look for it tomorrow.

Mike Turnbull
Andrew
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 6:37pm »

Mike, I have seen the bird twice. Just below the house under renovation on the left hand side of the path, low down in the scrub. The second time on the left hand side of the path that bears left of the house, maybe 75-100 yards along. It has a very distinctive tail flicking or pumping (not shimmering like a redstart). It is not black/white under the tail like a red-throated flycatcher. It has a pale throat, white eye rings, in certain light the tail looks to have a blue sheen to it and the wings have a rufous wash.

Good luck.
miket
BBS Member
BBS God

I'd rather be birding!

« Reply #5 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 6:51pm »

From what you describe, Andrew, I wonder if you have eliminated Red-flanked Bluetail (female).  

Mike Turnbull
Andrew
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 8:11pm »

Mike, I looked through the images on the OBC site and all show a distinctive red wash on the flank which I have not seen. There is one photo of a first winter bird which is a close match from the back and doesn't show the flanks. I can't rule this out.

Andrew
Andrew
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 8th, 2006, 1:47pm »

I went along the lower section of Ho Chung today. I was bitten relentlessly by mozzies last time I was in the woods. Today I got dozens of small bites from tiny black flies. Irritating but hopefully no more. Nothing new by way of birdlife. I chatted to one of the locals for some time - she speaks excellent English and she raised the visit when the nets were confiscated. She was perfectly pleasant and did not ask me if I had reported them. She did say however that the farmer had had a bad year (sounds familiar to all Brits I'm sure) and he blamed the birds for the destruction to his flower crop.

I have not seen my mystery bird again. Mike Kilburn suggested Red-tailed robin but all the pictures of this I have seen indicate there should be scaling on the chest and I have not seen this, so I guess its one that got away. Mike also added it was most unlikely to be Siberian blue robin with only 3 winter records in 30 years. Another one that got away.

Walking along the stream today the main activity was mating frogs - making a dreadful din - I counted 7 pairs and a couple of unattached ones in barely a 10m stretch. Spring has sprung.

« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2006, 1:48pm by Andrew » Logged
Andrew
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 31st, 2006, 1:31pm »

A late morning walk along the lower valley after a heavy 7s night last night and another one ahead tonight. Plaintive and Large hawk cuckoo both easily seen and possibly Chestnut-winged cuckoo too but the light was dreadful. A Crested serpent eagle was perched close-ish to the path and another was seen very distantly perched on a power pole. Little buntings still on the fields and 2 Olive-backed pipits. A female stonechat, an Asian brown flycatcher and 2 Long-tailed shrikes were the only other birds of note.

Andrew
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 11:37am »

My morning walk at Ho Chung today produced Plaintive cuckoo and Large Hawk cuckoo again, Red-billed starling, the Crested serpent-eagle perched close to the path again and a Yellow-cheeked tit. I have not seen Yellow-cheeked tit here before and I wondered whether others have. It was extremely humid so getting better for dragonflies too

Oh, and 3 Red-billed blue magpies
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2006, 4:12pm by Andrew » Logged
Andrew
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 15th, 2006, 1:15pm »

Not much to report this morning. A couple of Cattle egrets in breeding plumage and, although I am sure they are common, a pair of Grey-treepies which I haven't seen at Ho Chung before. Lots of Hair-crested drongos - a flock of maybe 12/13 birds at one point. Too windy for much else to show and d**n
ed chilly too  
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2006, 9:41am by Andrew » Logged
Mike Kilburn
Committee Member
BBS God

« Reply #11 on: Apr 15th, 2006, 10:14pm »

It was miserably empty of birds in the woods today, but on a walk down from Fei Ngo Shan to Marina Cove I did see a Dollarbird, 2 groups of Hair-crested Drongos and n adult Bonelli's Eagle.

I also heard a Grey Treepie down the bottom.

Sadly I also noticed another net full of dead bats and birds.  if anyone goes there, please take a photo and let me know.  i will follow this up through Kadoorie Farm.

Cheers  
Mike K

Mike Kilburn
Vice Chairman
Chairman - ConservationCommittee
HKBWS
Andrew
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

« Reply #12 on: May 2nd, 2006, 9:39am »

I did a walk on Sunday morning - lower valley only. Not much new to report. Brown shrike was my first here and there were several Cattle egrets, Common kingfisher and a nice Crested tree lizard but thats about it. Has anybody other than Mike K seen Dollarbird here?

I was more cheered to see a Crested goshawk above the Standard Chartered building in Central yesterday  
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2006, 9:40am by Andrew » Logged
Stanley
BBS Member
BBS Full Member

I love bird watching!

Dollar Bird of Ho Chung 蠔涌
« Reply #13 on: May 3rd, 2006, 2:37pm »

Hi Andrew,

as my experience, the Dollars Bird like to stand on the cable line along the road of Tai Nam Wu, not so much observed in the low valley.

Cheers,

Stanley
miket
BBS Member
BBS God

I'd rather be birding!

« Reply #14 on: May 3rd, 2006, 6:00pm »

I agree. The best place in my experience, is the line which drops down into the valley on the other side of the main stream at the very end of the road at Tai Lam Wu (the end of the catchwater road and the bottom of the steps into the woods).

There are other good spots in the Sai Kung area, notably Chuk Yeung Road, just east of Sai Kung Town.

Mike Turnbull
Pages: 1  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.