BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | ¤¤¤å
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 23rd, 2024, 12:28am

HKBWS BBS ­» ´ä Æ[ ³¾ ·| ·s »D ²Õ
   Discussion Area °Q½×°Ï
   Conservation ¦ÛµM«O¨|
(Moderators: Webcreeper, BBS Moderators)
   Yellow-breasted Bunting ¶À¯Ý§Å³¾/¥Ýªá³¶
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Yellow-breasted Bunting ¶À¯Ý§Å³¾/¥Ýªá³¶  (Read 2169 times)
HKBWS Office
BBS Member
BBS God

WWW Email

Yellow-breasted Bunting ¶À¯Ý§Å³¾/¥Ýªá³¶
« on: May 12th, 2003, 11:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Message extracted from the Oriental Bird Club e-mail group, for your reference. Members have any information about figures, news report, trading or relevant information, please send to Mr Simba Chan at simba@wing-wbsj.or.jp and post on this bulletin board.

Quote"

Dear OBers,

For many years we have received reports on declines of the breeding populations of Yellow-breasted Bunting (Emberiza aureola) in Hokkaido, Japan. It has now disappeared from many former breeding sites in Hokkaido. It is now listed as a Near-threatened Species on the Red Data Book of Japan  
(published in 2002).

The decline of Yellow-breasted Buntings in Japan may have been the result of destruction of some of its nesting habitat. However, this is a species known to concentrate in huge flocks at rice paddies during migration, and has been hunted in Guangdong Province, southern China as 'rice birds' for centuries. Recent reports on the People's Daily of China revealed traders from Guangdong paid farmers and hunters in Tianjin and other parts of northern China to catch this species. This might have been the result of a higher market demand. So far there is no scientific data from China on the population changes of this species. However, as its breeding grounds in  
northeastern China are also facing development pressures, we believe breeding birds are also declining in China.

We suspect the global population of Yellow-breasted Bunting is declining, probably quite drastically. However, apparently it is not a 'rare' bird in the wintering grounds that evaluating its real status is not easy. This species might follow the fate of the Baikal Teal - that one day we 'suddenly' find it is in fact a globally threatened species.

Do you think this species is declining in your country? Your information would help us to understand the global status of this species better.

Best regards,

Simba Chan
Wild Birds Society of Japan

Postal address: 2-35-2 Minamidaira, Hino, Tokyo, Japan 191-0041

"unquote
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2003, 11:48pm by BBS Moderators » Logged

From the HKBWS Office
HKBWS Office
BBS Member
BBS God

WWW Email

Re: Yellow-breasted Bunting ( ¶À ¯Ý §Å³¾ / ¥Ý ªá ³¶ )
« Reply #1 on: May 12th, 2003, 11:30pm »

Another message from the e-mail group about information in Finland.

Quote"

Dear OBers,

I have received the following information from Harry Lehto of Finland. Yellow-breasted Bunting is also declining on the western edge of its breeding range.

We should collect more information on this species.

Simba Chan
Wild Bird Society of Japan

>=======================
>
> > For many years we have received reports on declines of the breeding
> > populations of Yellow-breasted Bunting (Emberiza aureola) in Hokkaido,
> > Japan.
>...>
> > Do you think this species is declining in your country?
>
>At the other, western end of its breeding range, in Finland, the
>population has never been big, but the numbers have gone down from a
>couple of dozen breeding birds (in Liminka, vartsila and saaperi)
>about 20 years ago down to about one or two sighting per summer - not
>even territories any more. A very sad thing.
>
>Regards
>Harry

"Unquote
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2003, 11:31pm by HKBWS Office » Logged

From the HKBWS Office
°²³¾°g
BBS Member
BBS God

Have fun...

Re: Yellow-breasted Bunting ( ¶À ¯Ý §Å³¾ / ¥Ý ªá ³
« Reply #2 on: May 13th, 2003, 12:29am »

¤Ñ¬z³Ì¤j¤@°_³c³¾®×¯}Àò  ¸U§E³¥¥Í¬Ã¸VÀò±Ï ½Z·½¡G¡i¤Ñ¬z¤é³ø¡j
http://www.unn.com.cn/BIG5/channel413/414/1022/200209/28/217267.html

¾i³¾¦¨­·¦M¤Î³¾Ãþ¥Í¦s  
¤@½gµo¤H¤ß¬Ùªº¤å³¹
http://202.130.245.40/chinese/2002/Sep/201385.htm

¼sªF¡G¥Ýªá³¶¡§¤H¤u±O®_³õ¡¨Ä²¥ØÅå¤ß ¡i¤¤°ê¤¬Ápºô·s»D¤¤¤ß¡j
http://202.130.245.40/chinese/difang/68311.htm2001¦~7¤ë1¤é¼sªF¬Ù¹{¥¬¡m¼sªF¬Ù³¥¥Í°Êª««OÅ@ºÞ²z±ø¨Ò¡n¡A©ú½T±N¥Ýªá³¶¦C¬°­º§å­«ÂI«OÅ@ªº³¥¥Í°Êª«¤§¤@¡A©ú¥O¸T¤î®·±þ¡B¾P°â¡BÁʶR©M­¹¥Î¡C¦P®É¡A¸Ó±ø¨Ò¤£¶È¹ï¶Ã®·ÀÝÂy¡A¤]¹ï¦¬ÁÊ¡B¥X°âµ¥¨ä¥L¸gÀç©Êªº¹H³W¦æ¬°¡A³W©w¤F¨ãÅ骺³B»@±¹¬I¡C

®p¦¿°s¼Ó¸Ñ±Ï©]´åÅb ¡i¤¤°êªk´¶ºô¡j
http://www.legalinfo.gov.cn/big5/news/2002-12/20/content_7830.htm
¡½¡§¥Í²r®üÂA«~ºØ¡¨ªºµæ³æ¤W»®µM¼Ð¡½¡G©]´å¡]Åb¡^98¤¸¢A¥u¡B®üÅÃ188¤¸¢A¥u¡B¦ ÇÆO368¤¸¢A¥u¡B¥Ýªá³¶88¤¸¢A¥´¡B¥ÕÅb¥J38¤¸¢A¥u¡C¦Ó³o¨Ç³£¬O¼sªF¬Ù­«ÂI«OÅ@³¾ Ãþ¡AÄY¸T¾P°â©M­¹¥Î¡C  

¦U¦a¹A·~·s»D[ ²Åé ]
http://ny.ss.gov.cn/dongtai/12.htm

­»´ä¬F©²ºô­¶
(¬F©²ºÙYellow-breasted Bunting ¬° "Paddy Sparrow" (??))
http://www.info.gov.hk/ola/netglos/af/v17_p.htm

§Ú¥«¶}®i¥´À»¯}Ãa³¥¥Í³¾Ãþ¸ê·½¹Hªk¥Ç¸o±M¶µ¦æ°Ê [ ²Åé ]
¡mÃö©ó¦Lµo¼sªF¬Ù´ËªL¤½¦w¾÷Ãö¶}®i"­Ô³¾¦æ°Ê"¤u§@¤è®×ªº³qª¾¡n¡]¸f´Ë¤½³q&#65 339;2002]58¸¹¡^...­«ÂI¹ï¦ò¤s¥«°Ï©M¦U¥«ªº¶°¶T¥«³õ¡B°s¼Ó­¹¸v©M¨ä¥L³ ¥¥Í³¾Ãþ¬y³q¶°´²¦a¶i¦æ¤FÀˬd...¬Ù¬F©²Ãö©ó"±q2002¦~¦Ü2004¦~12¤ë31¤é¥þ¬Ù½d³ ò¸TÂy³¾Ãþ¤T¦~ªº¨M©w",
http://www.fsnyj.gov.cn/nykx066.htm

HKBWS Office
BBS Member
BBS God

WWW Email

Re: Yellow-breasted Bunting ¶À¯Ý§Å³¾/¥Ýªá³¶
« Reply #3 on: May 21st, 2003, 12:34am »

Message by Martin William extracted from Oriental Bird Club e-mail group, for members' reference.

Quote"

Yellow-breasted Bunting is among the migrants that have apparently become scarcer at Beidaihe, on the coast east of Beijing. From 1910-1917, it was reckoned abundant - "swarming in the crops" in September - but it has seemed far scarcer in recent surveys (Ok, I mean surveys to around 1990! - but I doubt the situation has improved).

Here in Hong Kong, too, it has declined. The Avifauna of Hong Kong tells of this bunting being trapped and eaten in Guangdong as the "rice bird". I have some memories of a paper from Thailand (by Phil Round), telling of roost sites where there were hundreds or thousands of wintering Yellow-breasted Buntings (and Yellow Wagtails), but they were  virtually wiped out by trapping for food.

Lately, even north Chinese seem enamoured of "sparrows" - small birds  barbecued on sticks, maybe five or so on a stick; ornithologist He Fenqi's told me some of these are day-old chickens, but even if some are wild-trapped small songbirds (from fields), might be a heavy toll. I've read of some conservationists complaining about this; not sure much has happened - even today, I get the impression songbirds get  
short shrift in China, where emphasis more on cranes, pheasants etc  (what's happening to streaked reed-warbler, say??)

We printed library-loads of Beidaihe autumns 86-90 reports; still have a lot of em. I know that I was v slow in getting the report out, but there's some good stuff in it. Still available for US$10 (nicely bound, some b&w photos!) - or if you can suggest a good home for one or more, might be able to send for free: especially, perhaps, to Chinese birders.

Martin Williams
martin@drmartinwilliams.com

"Unquote

From the HKBWS Office
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

­» ´ä Æ[ ³¾ ·|
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS ­» ´ä Æ[ ³¾ ·| ·s »D ²Õ » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.