BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 23rd, 2024, 3:23pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Conservation 自然保育
(Moderators: BBS Moderators, Webcreeper)
   Handling of Bird Nest
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Handling of Bird Nest  (Read 486 times)
KW
BBS Member
BBS Junior Member

I love bird watching!

Handling of Bird Nest
« on: Apr 29th, 2004, 6:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Does any member have ideas on how to handle bird nests which are built on floodlight installations.

I am a member of HKBWS and working in the engineering field. One of my jobs is to maintain floodlight installations. Some of the birds such as magpie would build their nests on the top of the floodlight fittings. When the floodlight is switched on, the nest may be burnt, which would damage the eggs and may damage the fitting. Shall I ask Agricultural, Fisheries and Conservation Department to handle the nest? Would I breach some regulations if I removed the nest by ourselves?

Similar situation was posted by BWA in http://www.hkbws.org.hk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=BirdingTips;action=di splay;num=1079782683. When we have to carry out engineering works on the platform of the floodlight, the workers may damage the nest.

Grateful if someone can let me have some suggestion. Thanks a lot.

KW
鳥友A(BWA)
Committee Member
BBS God

I love Nature!

Re: Handling of Bird Nest
« Reply #1 on: May 3rd, 2004, 1:13pm »

I think you should talk to AFCD direct.

Wild birds and their nests are protected by law. In principle, anyone who disturbs or damages bird nests could be fined and even imprisoned.  The question is how far such regulations are enforced.  

From time to time, we hear expensive effort being made to preserve old trees at urban construction sites.  Will people do the same for bird nests located at the wrong place?

I found that some pylons at Lantau are covered with wire mesh, presumably to stop birds from building nests there.  If it takes too much effort to relocate nests on sensitive structures, perhaps we should at least do something to make the structures less attractive to birds in the first place.
KW
BBS Member
BBS Junior Member

I love bird watching!

Re: Handling of Bird Nest
« Reply #2 on: May 4th, 2004, 1:18pm »

Dear BWA,

Thank you for your advice.

KW
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.