BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | ¤¤¤å
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 23rd, 2024, 11:14am

HKBWS BBS ­» ´ä Æ[ ³¾ ·| ·s »D ²Õ
   Discussion Area °Q½×°Ï
   Conservation ¦ÛµM«O¨|
(Moderators: Webcreeper, BBS Moderators)
   Mai Po Management Comments Åwªï´N¦Ì®HªººÞ²zµoªí·N¨£
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Mai Po Management Comments Åwªï´N¦Ì®HªººÞ²zµoªí·N¨£  (Read 580 times)
Bena
BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

I love bird watching!

Mai Po Management Comments Åwªï´N¦Ì®HªººÞ²zµoªí·N¨£
« on: Dec 6th, 2004, 3:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dear HKBWS members,

WWFHK is in the process of reviewing the current Mai Po Nature Reserve management plan and deciding site work for the next 5 years.

As users of MPNR I am requesting your comments upon the site. I consider this to be an important component of the plan because many of you are regular visitors and familiar with the site¡¦s history. Your view is potentially very different from one-off group visitors and Mai Po staff. So please use this as an opportunity to voice your opinion, good or bad, all comments will be treated as constructive.  

You can respond in either of two ways, by posting your comment on the HKBWS website or emailing me directly bsmith@wwf.hk.org.

Below are suggested topic headings with a few specific questions upon which we would welcome your ideas. Please accompany any unfavourable comments with realistic ways we could improve them.

INFRASTRUCTURE
Trails & Interpretation Boards
Are they maintained properly? Are they suitable?

Hides
Are all of the hides used by birdwatchers? (i.e. no. 2 and no. 4). What could we do to improve bird watching from them?

Peter Scott Field Study Centre & Education Centre
Would you like the Study Centre shop to sell more merchandise? If so what items?

MANAGEMENT
Gei Wai
Gei Wai¡¦s 6 and 7 are now very overgrown and there is little to see from the AFCD footpath end. Would you like us to remove the trees? If so what kind of new habitat should we create? I.e. Reedbed, or an open water area with islands for roosting birds?

Freshwater Ponds
Are the freshwater ponds in southern MP a worthwhile habitat?  

If the opportunity arose, should we specifically manage some freshwater habitat for Pheasant-tailed Jacana?

Do you think buffalo grazing would be a useful management tool for Mai Po?

Reedbeds
Is there now too much reed habitat on the reserve?

Trees & Bunds
Are there too many trees along the bunds? Should we manage our trees/shrubs differently?

OTHERS
Permit system
Does the current system inconvenience bird watching on the nature reserve? Could the system be improved?

I look forward to your comments,

Bena Smith
Reserve Officer
Mai Po Nature Reserve
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2004, 7:31pm by Webcreeper » Logged
²`ÂÅ Owen
BBS Administrator

LOVE KINGFISHER~!

339353245 339353245    

Re: Mai Po Management Comments Åwªï´N¦Ì®HªººÞ²zµo? size=
« Reply #1 on: Dec 8th, 2004, 5:17pm »

>>>> why nobody reply? all reply by email?? let me start here then.. don't laugh too loud if you are in the office...

INFRASTRUCTURE
Trails & Interpretation Boards
Are they maintained properly? Are they suitable?

>>>>    OK boh I think.. good job and appreciate..

Hides
Are all of the hides used by birdwatchers? (i.e. no. 2 and no. 4). What could we do to improve bird watching from them?

>>>>    almost useless for me, never walk in (except the first time)  umm.. would it be possible to put some wood column in the centre or infront of the BH on those pond. may attrack bird to stand there.. just my thinking.. not sure work or not...

Peter Scott Field Study Centre & Education Centre
Would you like the Study Centre shop to sell more merchandise? If so what items?

>>>>>>¡@¡@um, no comment .....  

MANAGEMENT
Gei Wai
Gei Wai¡¦s 6 and 7 are now very overgrown and there is little to see from the AFCD footpath end. Would you like us to remove the trees? If so what kind of new habitat should we create? I.e. Reedbed, or an open water area with islands for roosting birds?

>>>>>>¡@¡@don't remove the tree lah, although we can't watch birds inside but I think there are birds inside actually. also.. just my own point of view..

Freshwater Ponds
Are the freshwater ponds in southern MP a worthwhile habitat?  

If the opportunity arose, should we specifically manage some freshwater habitat for Pheasant-tailed Jacana?

Do you think buffalo grazing would be a useful management tool for Mai Po?

>>>>>>>¡@¡@anybody can translate this topic in Chinese for me? as I'm not quite really sure about it.. buffalo, want to put buffalo there? get those egret stand on their back? interesting..  

>>>>>¡@¡@just remind you that always some raptors flying over those area..  

>>>>>¡@¡@anyway.. Thanks in advance..

Reedbeds
Is there now too much reed habitat on the reserve?

Trees & Bunds
Are there too many trees along the bunds? Should we manage our trees/shrubs differently?

OTHERS
Permit system
Does the current system inconvenience bird watching on the nature reserve? Could the system be improved?

>>>>>> I think.. just make the gate "look" more like a reserve area.  as I experience some tourist want to walk inside and ignore those warning, I tell them it need permit or will be arrest and fined. then they give up.. but .. in the otherside.. the road to borderline. I meet 3 kids driving bic there around pond 10, 9 before.. they stop by and asked me where this road heading to. and I tell the same story.. it's a reserve area u need permit or get fined and arrest... blah blah blah. and they all turn around immediately...  

I look forward to your comments,

Bena Smith
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2004, 5:35pm by Webcreeper » Logged

BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

I love bird watching!

Re: Mai Po Management Comments Åwªï´N¦Ì®HªººÞ²zµoª
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10th, 2004, 5:56pm »

Dear Owen,

Thank you for your comments. Your response is the only one I have received so far.

Bena.
me_domchan
BBS Administrator

I love bird watching!

Re: Mai Po Management Comments Åwªï´N¦Ì®HªººÞ²zµoª
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14th, 2004, 2:02pm »

Hi Bena,  

Here is my experience to Mai Po tours on weekday. May be they are extreme cases, may be they are norm. Either way, I hope they are useful.  

Dominic  

¸Ü»¡¤µ¤é¤p§Ì°Î«Y¦Ì®H¤T¼h³¾«Îµ¥³¶...
¨ä¶¡¦³¨â¹Î¾Ç¥Í¨Ó°ÑÆ[

Today, I was waiting inside the 3-story birdhide for some birds. During my stay, 2 groups of students visited the birdhide.    

²Ä¤@¹Î«Y¤¤¾Ç¥Í¡A¦³¨k¦³¤k¡A¥¼¨£¨ä¤H..¥ý»D¨äÁn...
°ò¥»¤W«Y¹Ë¨ì©î¤Ñ¡C¤J¨ì³¾«Î«á..¤W¥ª¤G/¤T¼Ó¡C
WWF ¾É¹C´N¶}©l¥s¤H­ø¦n¹Ë..¦A´X¤jÁnËÝÁ¿¤U¥X­±¦³ÉA³¾...(D ³¾Á׮ͫY¦Àªº¥t¤@Ãä°Õ..³s«ÎÃä¾ð¤W­±d ¥ÕÀYóí³£¨«§¨­øÀY)  
·d¥ª¤@½ü..´N¨«¥ª¡C°£¥ªHE HE HA HA....­øª¾¦³µL¯d¤ß¹L¾É¹CÁ¿ÉA¡C

The first group was secondary school students made up of boys and girls. They spoke to each other loudly, I heard them when they were on the footpath. They entered the birdhide after a while and went up to 2nd /3rd floor. The WWF guide started to ask the students to keep quiet and introduced the habitat and birds quite loudly. (Of course, most birds were on the far side of the pond, even the Chinese Bulbul fed on trees nearby flew away)  
5-10 minutes later, they left in a noisy way. The students chat between each other throughout the visit and I wondered how many of them DID listen to the WWF guide.  

²Ä¤G¹Î«Y¤p¾Ç¥Í¡AÊ\¦a¤J¾¤¤§«e­è­è¦³¤@°¦¶ÂÁyµ\ÆO«Y³¾«Î«e³V­¹¡A¶ZÂ÷¬ù15-20¦ Ì¡C
§Ú¥¿¦bªùÃ䪺µ¡¤f©çÄá¡A·í¤@¦ìWWF ¤k¾É¹C±Àªù¤J¾¤ªº®É¶¡¡A§Ú»´»´Án"SHHH"Ê\¦a¡C
D ¤pªB¤Í³£¤@»ôSHHH....¶}©lÀRÀRËݤJ¾¤¡C¦ý«Y­Ó¤k¾É¹C´N¦n¤jÁn..«Y¦n¤jÁnËݦP¥¼ ¤J¾¤D ¾Ç¥ÍÁ¿¡G"§A¦a­nÀRD §r¡I" ....§Ú¤v¸g¥´­Ó¬ð...

The second group was primary students, boys and girls.  Right before they came in the hide, a BFS was feeding close to the birdhide. (15-20 meters) I was shooting next to the door, so I signaled the Female WWF guide and the leading students to keep quiet by "shhhhhh"ing them. The kids definitely knew what was going on and they came in quietly.  BUT, the female WWF guide turned around and SHOUTED to the following students "YOU HAVE TO KEEP QUIET!!!" I was shocked!!!

¸ò¦í§Ú«ü­ÚD ¤pªB¤ÍÚ»¦³¶ÂÁyµ\ÆO¡AD ¤pªB¤Í±ð«Y¦n¶}¤ß·QÚ»¤@Ú»°Õ...
­Ó¤k¾É¹C«Y¼Ó±è¤f¦A¤jÁnËÝ¥s" ¦P¾Ç¦n¤W¤G¼Ó°Õ¡I"...(§Ú¶}©lºw¦½)....  

I then showed the kids there was a BFS out there, they were very excited and want to peep thru the windows.  
BUT then, the WWF guide SHOUTED again "PLEASE MOVE UP TO 2ND FLOOR!!!".....(Ok...I am "amazed"....)  

¦n°Õ..D ¤pªB¤Í¤W®Í¥h¤G/¤T¼Ó°Õ..Ëݱð·|¤Ö¤Ö¹Ë..¦ý«Y³£ºâ²ÓÁn¡C¦Ü¤Ö°¦¶ÂÁyµ\ÆO¥ò«Y«×¡ C
©O­Ó®É¶¡.....¤k¾É¹C¤S¬ðµM³Ü½|"§A¦a­ø¦n¦A¹Ë°Õ¡I¦n¦¬Án°Õ¡I"
­øÁ¿¥Ñ¦Û¥i....Ê\¤@¥XÁn...°¦¶ÂÁyµ\ÆO§Y¨è³QÀ~¨«....XDDDDDDD
¥i±¤...­Ó¤k¾É¹C­øı±o¦Û¤v¤jÁn..¥ò§Y¨è¦n¤¿ËݸÜ"¨£­ø¨£¨ì°¦¶ÂÁyµ\ÆO­¸¹L¡A´N «Y§A¦a¹Ë¨«¥ªÊ\¡C¦A¹Ë´N­ø·ÇÚ»§Y¨è¨«"  
¤§«á¦p¬OªÌ¤S«Y¦n¤jÁnËݤ¶²Ð¤UD ³¶......©O¹Î´N¨«¥ª...
¥Ñ©l¦Ü²×....³Ì¹Ë³£«Y­Ó...¤k¾É¹C...­øª¾Ê\¥H«e«Y­ø«Y...±Ð®Ñ¬[©O.......XDDD D

After the kids moved up to 2nd/3rd floor, some noise were expected but the level was acceptable as the BFS was still feeding out there.  
ALL in a SUDDEN, the guide SHOUTED again "Stop talking, KEEP QUIET!!". As soon as she shouted, the BFS fled in a hurry.  
Unfortuantely, the guide didn't feel any bad, she SHOUTED again in anger " Look at that BFS, it left because YOU STUDENTS are too noisy, if you don't stop talking, we will leave immediately"  
Then, the guide stated to introduce the habitat and birds LOUDLY..........
 The point is........the tour guide was definitely the one who made most of the noise......while she didn't really realize...

¨ä¹ê...©OD ¹Î¹ï¦³¤ßªº¤H¾¤Á¿±ð«Y¦n¦n°Õ..
¦ý«Y¹JµÛDµL¤ßÚ»¡A±¾¦í¦Û¤vª±¤S¹Ë¬J¤¤¾Ç¥Í¦³µL¥Î©O¡H ·|­ø·|®ö¶OD QUOTA?  
¤S©Î³£¦³¤ßÚ»..¹JµÛ­Ó¤jÁn´c¾É¹C....ËݤS·|­ø·|¼vÅT¥ª¤j²³(¤×¨ä«Y¤pªB¤Í)¹ï«O ¨|ªº¦L¹³©O¡H

In fact, the Mai Po tours are very good for those who are interested. This provides a precious opportunity for general public to know what conservation is like.  
However, if the participants don't really interested in conservation, e.g. secondary students, who treat the tour a way to stay away from classes on weekday, played among themselves and made nosies. Will it be a WASTE to the visit Quota?  
In contrast, what if the participants are interested but they run in a tour guide who is bad tempered/impatient/noisy? Will this affect the particiapnts's impression (esp. children) to conservation efforts?!  

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

­» ´ä Æ[ ³¾ ·|
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS ­» ´ä Æ[ ³¾ ·| ·s »D ²Õ » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.