BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 23rd, 2024, 9:19am

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Conservation 自然保育
(Moderators: Webcreeper, BBS Moderators)
   Do You Know Why??? 為甚麼???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Do You Know Why??? 為甚麼???  (Read 2236 times)
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

Bird Photography - at its best ...

Do You Know Why??? 為甚麼???
« on: Apr 15th, 2005, 12:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Shorebirds used to follow the incoming tide as it rises. They get quite close to the boardwalk hides until the point where they can't bear it and fleet towards the inner ponds for roosting. This has been the pattern for years as I recall.

Sadly this pattern has now changed and this year being the worest in memory! All that left behind are Avocets floating a far distance away from the hides. Shorebirds just leave for inner ponds well before the tide level even gets to 2m which is a long way away from the hides due to the rise of the mudflat itself.

Anyone would like to postulate what's going on?  

All I can think of are the increasing human disturbance at the mudflat as of late and the increasing activities in the hides where more and more group visitings are now common sight hence lots of unwanted noise too ...

KK Hui ARPS
www.geocities.com/kkhui_001

以前濱鳥會隨著上漲的潮水移動,牠們會漸漸走到頗為接近觀鳥屋的地方,直至距離小至不能忍受時才飛到內陸的池塘棲息,就我記憶所及,這種活動模式多年以來一向如是。

很可惜,這種模式已經改變,而今年是我所知中最壞的!現在留下的只有在離開觀 鳥屋老遠游水的反嘴鷸,早在潮水漲到兩米之前,濱鳥便已紛紛飛到內陸的池塘去 ,由於泥灘升高了,牠們飛走時和觀鳥屋還有很遠的距離。

有沒有人推斷到究竟發生了甚麼事?

我只可以想到最近泥灘上愈來愈多的人為騷擾,以及觀鳥屋內愈來愈常見的群體參觀活動,因而帶來不少噪音…

許光杰 ARPS  

W 中譯
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2005, 1:20pm by Webcreeper » Logged
深藍 Owen
BBS Administrator

LOVE KINGFISHER~!

339353245 339353245    

Re: Do You Know Why???
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15th, 2005, 1:09pm »

those group visting always reach hide right on time while the tide rise to the front of hide.

walkin, open door, windows, GOSSIPS.. "wow wow.. never seen before.... come over...mama I want to watch... !! etc" plus what I mentioned before. put their super camera out of the windows to make it "closer" to the birds and the worst is someone think u guys sitting inside is hot and stupid why don't just walk outside have a 180 degree fullview..  

plus... seems my 20D shutter noise is louder than my previous 10D. brought a noise reducer already should try it on my next visit...
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2005, 1:11pm by 深藍 Owen » Logged

BBS Member
BBS God

I'm loving eat!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15th, 2005, 2:39pm »

on Apr 15th, 2005, 1:09pm, 深藍 Owen wrote:
plus... seems my 20D shutter noise is louder than my previous 10D. brought a noise reducer already should try it on my next visit...

I apologize for my noisy shutter too!
我都比人白眼過幾次,係度講聲Sorry 邊度有noise reducer買呀?Owen
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2005, 2:46pm by pippenho » Logged
Andrew
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

Re: Do You Know Why??? 為甚麼???
« Reply #3 on: Apr 15th, 2005, 5:26pm »

I have seen the mudskipper collectors each time I have visited recently.  I'm not sure how much disturbance they create as they have been quite a way from the feeding line when I have spotted them and various egrets seem to ignore them.  That said they should not be there and it is a worry that they may spook the birds.

It is also true that the hides have become very noisy but there is a trade off between encouraging new people to see the birds and having optimum hide etiquette / behaviour.  The responsibility should be with the guides to explain the sensitivities before the groups get out on to the boardwalk.

I am the first to get grumpy when disturbed and sadly it is not just photographers poking lenses through the hide windows - plenty of scopes get rested on the window ledges and protrude out.  Camera lenses after often camouflaged.  The shutter noise of a 20D is bad but my experience is that most people start taking photographs when the birds are quite a way out and frankly I think they get habituated to the clicking as they get closer to the hide - its just one more bit of ambient noise.  What undoubtedly spooks the birds is sudden movement and people coming in and out of the hides (often noisily) at the very time the mudflats are almost covered.

These are issues that affect just about every reserve I have visited and I don't suppose things will change but maybe each group member should be briefed before they venture out and get a pamphlet explaining the sensitivity of the area and the need to allow the birds to feed in peace.

Andrew
深藍 Owen
BBS Administrator

LOVE KINGFISHER~!

339353245 339353245    

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15th, 2005, 5:35pm »

on Apr 15th, 2005, 2:39pm, pippenho wrote:

I apologize for my noisy shutter too!
我都比人白眼過幾次,係度講聲Sorry 邊度有noise reducer買呀?Owen

group order from a photo group long ago. it's a water proof and warmer actaully but reduce the noise also.

u may try to find some similar products and order here, they accept overseas order :
http://www.kphoto.com.tw/front/bin/home.phtml
http://www.kphoto.com.tw/front/bin/ptlist.phtml?Category=59633
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2005, 5:37pm by 深藍 Owen » Logged

BBS Administrator

I love bird watching!

« Reply #5 on: Apr 15th, 2005, 11:21pm »

on Apr 15th, 2005, 5:26pm, Andrew wrote:

What undoubtedly spooks the birds is sudden movement and people coming in and out of the hides (often noisily) at the very time the mudflats are almost covered.

I have no idea why the tours very often arrived right at the time the mudflats are covered! I run into this situation several times last month.  

I believe better arrangement can be made to avoid disturbing the birds and the bird watchers who wait in the bird hide for hours.  

WH Or
BBS Member
BBS Junior Member

I love bird watching!

« Reply #6 on: Apr 16th, 2005, 12:03pm »

In order not to disturb the wild birds, I think it is a good practise not to let the telephoto lens protrude from the hide.

Photo taken on 3rd Apr 05

鳥友A(BWA)
Committee Member
BBS God

I love Nature!

« Reply #7 on: Apr 17th, 2005, 1:04am »

It is these unscrupulous behaviour that we should watch out for. They would do anything to get their "great shots", regardless what the Code says.

They just don't care about the code. Birds are just another kind of object that they can shoot whichever they please. Never mind the damage - having bought such expensive equipment and taking all the trouble to make it to the boardwalk, how would they return empty-handed?

這些就是我們應該留意的拍攝行為,為了拍到「好照片」而不擇手般,將觀鳥守則 拋諸腦後。

他們根本就不管甚麼守則,雀鳥不過是另外一種可以隨意「打」的對象罷了。鳥的 安危並不重要,花了那麼多錢買器材,又費了那麼多功夫才到達泥灘,就非要拍到 一兩張「傑作」不可,怎可能輕易地空手而回?
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2005, 8:56pm by 鳥友A(BWA) » Logged
Andrew_H
BBS Member
BBS Newbie

« Reply #8 on: Apr 17th, 2005, 7:52am »

I presume this post is intended as a joke.  If so it is in extremely poor taste.  I suggest the moderator removes it as it is bordering on being defamatory.
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2005, 7:53am by Andrew_H » Logged
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

« Reply #9 on: Apr 17th, 2005, 8:48am »

I'm with Andrew. What 鳥友A(BWA) said is not at all appropriate here and with poor taste too ...  I do NOT believe a moment what has been inferred there. Remember not all photographers and birders are the same.  

Please read my original post and let's keep it on topic instead. Much Thanks!

KK Hui ARPS
鳥友A(BWA)
Committee Member
BBS God

I love Nature!

« Reply #10 on: Apr 17th, 2005, 2:30pm »

What I want to say is that taking bird photos requires a lot of self-discipline, as there is always an irresistible temptation to cross the line while trying to perfect one's images.

I must emphasize that the great majority of photographers are considerate people who have taken pains to avoid disturbing the birds. I respect their effort, patience and restraint, which have brought us the stunning pictures that we all value and enjoy. Their works have also helped to educate the public about the enjoyment of nature, as well as the need for conservation.

My comments in fact refer to those very few who obviously did not know or follow the Code, as apparent from Mr Or's photo and various reports from other birdwatchers and photographers. I feel obliged to bring out the problem for discussion. No offence has been intended and I apologize for any that has been taken.

對不起,以上的言論可能有點過火,或者我應該用更加正面的方法去表達個人意見 。

我想指出的是拍攝雀鳥照片需要很強的自律,為了拍得完美的照片,違反守則的誘 惑實在難以抗拒。

我要強調絕大多數的攝影師都能夠以鳥為先,拍攝時會儘量避免騷擾雀鳥。他/她 們的努力、耐心和自制,給我們帶來了不少令人讚嘆的精彩照片,同時亦提起了公 眾欣賞大自然的興趣,促進保育意識,令本人深感佩服。

我的留言其實是針對一小撮不懂守則或明知故犯的人,他們的所為可以從柯兄的照 片以及其他鳥友和攝影師的留言中看到,因此我覺得有必要將問題拿出來討論。如 果我的留言對各位有任何冒犯之處,敬請原諒。
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2005, 2:36pm by 鳥友A(BWA) » Logged
Captain
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 18th, 2005, 2:06pm »

I would like to address this "problem" from another angle. Pls don't mind.

To be honest, it is a photography problem, rather than a conservation issue.

Regardless shorebirds are close or far away from the boardwalk, the key pt here is whether they have enough time or food to feed prior to rising tide.

So, if they are plenty of food on the mudflat, it means that they have no need to forage at the exposed mudflat at the last minute, i.e. they have no need to feed around the bird hides.

KK's observations may indicate that there are more food available on the mudflat. So, they can fly back to Geiwais before tide is rising to the bird hides.

Of pointing tele-lens beyond the windows of bird hide, I personally do not think it will create a serious threat to the feeding shorebirds as lens are dead things that would kill a bird.  

However, it create a disturbance to other birdwatchers, then it should be stopped.

Captain
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 18th, 2005, 2:08pm »

Changes

Of pointing tele-lens beyond the windows of bird hide, I personally do not think it will create a serious threat to the feeding shorebirds as lens are dead things that would NOT kill a bird.  

However, IF it createS disturbance to other birdwatchers, then it should be stopped.  
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

« Reply #13 on: Apr 18th, 2005, 3:14pm »

on Apr 18th, 2005, 2:06pm, Captain wrote:
... So, if they are plenty of food on the mudflat, it means that they have no need to forage at the exposed mudflat at the last minute, i.e. they have no need to feed around the bird hides. KK's observations may indicate that there are more food available on the mudflat. So, they can fly back to Geiwais before tide is rising to the bird hides ...

Thanks for the theory, Captain!

There is probably some truth in this assumption. That I take to mean food in the mudflat this year is abundant or there are less birds to fight for food compares with  previous years. If that's the case, is it an indication there is improvement in environmental pollution over the mudflat lately then?  

On the other hand could it be 'more food on the mudflat means more pollution'?

KK Hui ARPS
Captain
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

Email

« Reply #14 on: Apr 18th, 2005, 3:44pm »

I am a fans of "organic enrichment theory" ---- The more the organic wastes in a system (before the collapsing pt), the more the food available to a particular wildlife group.  

A pig nuts
 stream near San Tin which attracts a lot of birds could illustrate the theory.

In Deep Bay, the particular wildlife group is waterbird. BUT the suffering group could be freshwater fish or insects.

Inorganic waste is never a nice gift to any ecosystems. So, we must cut down the discharge as much as we can.

I have no idea about the organic and inorganic loading in DB, but it should be available at EPD websites.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.