BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 23rd, 2024, 7:12am

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Conservation 自然保育
(Moderators: BBS Moderators, Webcreeper)
   Goliath Heron in South Asia
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Goliath Heron in South Asia  (Read 598 times)
HKBWS Project
HKBWS Officers
BBS God

Please support HKBWS!

Goliath Heron in South Asia
« on: Jul 20th, 2005, 10:06am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dear colleagues,

The population estimate of the elusive Goliath Heron Ardea goliath in South Asia - Pakistan, India and Sri Lanka is a mere 20 individuals (Waterbird Population Estimates, 2002).  

I am interested in collating information on the distribution of the species; based on confirmed records, such as those backed up by photos, as it appears that some of the observations may confused with the commoner Purple Heron Ardea purpurea.

The first and excellent photos I have seen are posted on the Oriental Bird Image by Sujan Chatterjee in the Sunderbans, West Bengal, India in May 2005; posted on:

http://www.orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?p=2&action=searchresult &Bird_ID=1114&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1

Are any of you aware of any other photographic records that can help to confirm sightings?

Look forward to your responses.

Dr. Taej Mundkur
Wetlands International - South Asia
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2005, 12:32am by Forrest FONG » Logged

HKBWS Manager (Projects & Communication)
香港觀鳥會 經理(項目及傳訊)
ANANT
BBS Member
BBS Newbie

Birds elevate our souls and colour our lives!

WWW Email

Re: Goliath Heron in South Asia
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29th, 2005, 11:27pm »

Dear Dr.Mundkur

I am happy to see your post and we must thank the HK Birdwatching Society for acting as a bridge between us, serving the cause of world ornithology.

Your work on wetlands greatly interests me, as this is a serious question in India, with the fast rate at which this ecosystem is being overrun by commercial and other interests.  

If you would like to pursue the thread of this discussion, please do email me. I would like to refer to you my work in the popular domain, as a writer at The Hindu newspaper. I also work closely with the Salim Ali Centre in Coimbatore, to derive some perspective on conservation questions.

Meanwhile, here is the link to my piece titled Vanishing Wetlands published on the Editorial page of The Hindu  

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/thscrip/print.pl?file=200503090342100 0.htm&date=2005/03/09/&prd=th&
My email id is anant@thehindu.co.in

A willing soldier in the fight to protect, reclaim and restore the world's natural spaces
HKBWS Project
HKBWS Officers
BBS God

Please support HKBWS!

Re: Goliath Heron in South Asia
« Reply #2 on: Jul 30th, 2005, 10:58am »

Dear Friends,

We are happy to work with all people in the world to protect the birds as well as the whole environment.

HKBWS

HKBWS Manager (Projects & Communication)
香港觀鳥會 經理(項目及傳訊)
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.