BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 4th, 2024, 2:25pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   General 一般問題
(Moderators: BBS Moderators, Webcreeper)
   Ask for binocular suggestion... 雙筒問題
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Ask for binocular suggestion... 雙筒問題  (Read 4607 times)
schindler
BBS Member
BBS Full Member

I love bird watching!

3909022 3909022    

Ask for binocular suggestion... 雙筒問題
« on: Sep 9th, 2004, 2:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

After reading the website of Eddy Kwong (http://www.geocities.com/binocritics/index.htm), I'm considering the following bionculars:

1.) Nikon 10X42 SE
2.) Canon 10X30 IS

In term of bird watching, which one do you prefer?
And how much...? Or would you have another suggestion?

Looking for your kindly help  
Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2004, 11:35pm by Webcreeper » Logged
Albert

Email

Re: Ask for binocular suggestion...
« Reply #1 on: Sep 9th, 2004, 4:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Both are no good as no birder is using them as far as I know.

Buying a binocular is rather tricky as binoculars comes in different config. and  the cost range from a few hundred to several thousand.

May be you can join activities organised by the society and I am sure other birders will allow you to try on their binoculars. Then you can make your own decision.
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

Bird Photography - at its best ...

« Reply #2 on: Sep 9th, 2004, 5:39pm »

I use the Nikon 10x42 Premier SE for birding which is optically superb and light in weight. In fact the Premier SE series, previously known as Superior E, are Nikon's ultimate birding porro prism binoculars. Each and every facet of manufacturing is done with the criteria of optical quality rather than a price point mindset, and the result is an 10x42 binocular so spectacularly bright you'll have to see it to believe it. More info at ...
http://www.optics4birding.com/item.aspx?cid=62

The other popular one for birding is the Leica 10x42 BN which is nitrogen gas filled and water-proof. Heavier than the Nikon SE but is also a good choice if your budget allows.

KK Hui ARPS
www.geocities.com/kkhui_001

me_domchan
BBS Administrator

I love bird watching!

« Reply #3 on: Sep 9th, 2004, 8:40pm »

Forget about the 10X30 IS from canon

it is way too dim! Get the Nikon.  

May I share my view for a pair of high quality budget binoculars here, if you dun mind.  

I got a Nikon Sporter I 8x36 becasue of budget constraint. It is very bright, chormatic abberation is minimal, but the color may not be too accurate.  
Price is cheap (around $1000)  
http://nikon.topica.ne.jp/bi_e/products/standard.htm

Also, the Olympus 10X42 EXWP I may be a good choice too. It is nitrogen filled.  And the price tag is 1.5k or something as I remembered.  

schindler
BBS Member
BBS Full Member

I love bird watching!

3909022 3909022    

« Reply #4 on: Sep 9th, 2004, 10:48pm »

Thanks all!  

It seems that for bird watching, Nikon and Olympus are more suitable and affordable.

Now I'm wondering Olympus Magellan EXWP I 10x42, as it provides better optics and more durable in bad weather, anyone tried it before?
me_domchan
BBS Administrator

I love bird watching!

« Reply #5 on: Sep 9th, 2004, 10:54pm »

on Sep 9th, 2004, 10:48pm, schindler wrote:
Thanks all!  

It seems that for bird watching, Nikon and Olympus are more suitable and affordable.

Now I'm wondering Olympus Magellan EXWP I 10x42, as it provides better optics and more durable in bad weather, anyone tried it before?

Leica is among the best if you are willing to afford. HE..he..
For binoculars, I think you must go and try different models by yourself and see which works best for you!  

Forrest FONG
BBS Administrator

I love Bird Watching!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 9th, 2004, 10:59pm »

Hi schindler,

You can find some tips of choosing binoculars in the FAQ2.
http://www.hkbws.org.hk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Discussion;action=dis play;num=1079749244

Leica has two new model of binoculars (BR & BL) which are less 10 ~ 15% in weight but they are about $10k each.

FF
schindler
BBS Member
BBS Full Member

I love bird watching!

3909022 3909022    

« Reply #7 on: Sep 9th, 2004, 11:45pm »

Hi me_domnchan & Forrest,

Sure I've tried such master-class binoculars, these scopes just make me feel that I'm in front of the distant object without any glass inbetween, more 3D than reality... that's why they are very expensive.

Also from the picture in the "The photographic guide to the birds of Hong Kong", everyone holding Swarovski or Leica binocular. ..

But I've invested much in the new lens ($7.5K), so I'd better buy a 'cheap' binocular   and also I have had a telescope (Celestron Nexstar 80GT). I think after purchasing the binocular, I should be a well-equipped bird-watcher  
schindler
BBS Member
BBS Full Member

I love bird watching!

3909022 3909022    

« Reply #8 on: Sep 9th, 2004, 11:52pm »

Just one more question:

Today I will have a holiday and I may buy one if the price don't exceed my budget... except Citicall, Wing Shing, Mah Shing, TST Tung Ying, Stantly street... anywhere else? Or which shops do you suggest...?  
me_domchan
BBS Administrator

I love bird watching!

« Reply #9 on: Sep 9th, 2004, 11:56pm »

on Sep 9th, 2004, 11:52pm, schindler wrote:
Just one more question:

Today I will have a holiday and I may buy one if the price don't exceed my budget... except Citicall, Wing Shing, Mah Shing, TST Tung Ying, Stantly street... anywhere else? Or which shops do you suggest...?  

Kowloon Life 九龍生活 has quite a lot of binoculars.  

九龍油麻地吳淞街 5 號地下

Try take a look at the Nikon Sporter I 8X36....he..he..
Betty
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #10 on: Sep 10th, 2004, 8:08am »

My daughter Carmen is using Olympus 8x42 EXWP I 8x42 , waterproof, field 6.3. price was HK$1480. weight 650 gm. relative brightness 28. With a budget in mind, this is a model that meets a birder's need well.

In my experience, 8x42 is better than 10x42 because the former one will have a brighter view. Imgaine you are in dense woods, during dawn or dusk.  

I am using a Nikon Monarch 10x42 price 1850. brightness 17.6  You will find 10x is too much for place like Tai Po Kau and brightness not enough without sunshine. Carmen always beats me in finding birds, may that be the reason heheheee

Ask the salesman to show you the specification sheet and compare each model before you make decision.

Betty
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2004, 2:26pm by Betty » Logged
Betty
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #11 on: Sep 10th, 2004, 8:22am »

Nikon Sporter weight 720 gm, brightness 20.3 can also be a choice as once I e-mail to Nikon USA to enquire for binocular suggestion. Their reply is Sporter I 8x36.
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2004, 8:36am by Betty » Logged
me_domchan
BBS Administrator

I love bird watching!

« Reply #12 on: Sep 10th, 2004, 11:40am »

on Sep 10th, 2004, 8:22am, Betty wrote:
Nikon Sporter weight 720 gm, brightness 20.3 can also be a choice as once I e-mail to Nikon USA to enquire for binocular suggestion. Their reply is Sporter I 8x36.

This is the one I use..ha.ha.ha....

The Sporter I 10X42 model is kinda dim too.  

Now, sounds like Olmypus 8X42 is a good choice!! It is much brighter and waterproof.  

Also.....avoid those have "ZOOM" function  

dtse
BBS Member
BBS Junior Member

New hand on the go

« Reply #13 on: Sep 10th, 2004, 4:21pm »

Hii all,

I am using Olympus 8x42 EXWPI (after seeking some valuable advice from Mr. Or, Carmen's dad)  for over 6 months and I agree with Betty's view of its outstanding brightness.  I could identify very fine objects in low lighting conditions. The water-proof feature also provide you with a peace of mind when using it in bad weather.  However, you have to put up with its chormatic abberation which is quite noticeable when facing the bright sky.

Cheers.

David
schindler
BBS Member
BBS Full Member

I love bird watching!

3909022 3909022    

« Reply #14 on: Sep 11th, 2004, 10:02am »

Hello all,

Thanks all~! The following has been posted elsewhere, but I think it's worthwhile to share with those who like using binocular  

Finally I bought a Nikon Monarch 8X42 at Kowloon Photo Service for $1,700. Originally I want to buy Olympus 10X42 which cost $1,650. It's however the Nikon 10X42 cost $1,800 only for the almost identical configugration: nitrogen-filled, water and fog proof.

And then thanks for the suggestion from the sale and you guys, I decided to gain more brightness which is very important in bird-watching, I go for Nikon 8 X 42. One of the considerations between Olympus and Nikon is that the weight, Nikon weight 50g less than Olympus (610 vs 660). Since I have to bring the heavy 10D and heavy Tamron 200-500, I don't want to kill myself. Besides, I love the NIKON and believe it has good QC even it's made in CHINA.

OK, let's go for a brief comment on this new toy:
Disadvantages:
1.) noticable Chromatic Aberrations when looking at white color under bright conditions, but acceptable.
2.) the caps in front of the bino are easily lossen

Advantages:
1.) the feeling of holding it is good, the rubber make you feel tightly grab on it
2.) Excellent resolution, marginal resolution is acceptable
3.) 3D feeling strong enough
4.) Focus ring very smooth
5.) Short Minimal focus distance: 2.5m

Happy Birding  
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.