BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 4th, 2024, 2:27pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   General 一般問題
(Moderators: Webcreeper, BBS Moderators)
   frequency 問:雀鳥能夠聽到的音頻範圍
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: frequency 問:雀鳥能夠聽到的音頻範圍  (Read 722 times)
●_●
BBS Member
BBS Newbie

I love bird watching!

frequency 問:雀鳥能夠聽到的音頻範圍
« on: Nov 23rd, 2005, 2:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dear birdmates,

Just wanna help my friend to ask a question. Does anyone know the frequency that birds can hear?

Or, any books related to this topic recommended?

thanks!

●_●
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2005, 8:57pm by Webcreeper » Logged
Webcreeper
BBS Moderator
BBS Member
BBS God

I'm a webcreeper

Re: frequency 問:雀鳥能夠聽到的音頻範圍
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23rd, 2005, 9:01pm »

Given the key words and a little patience, you can usually get some answers from the net :

Bird Sense

“The range of frequencies heard varies among birds according to species. The Hairy woodpecker hears from a high of 18,400 to a low of 34 cycles per second, giving rise to the concept that this woodpecker can hear wood boring insects as they move along underneath the bark and wood of trees. Starlings hear nearly as well as we do at high to mid range (15,000 cycles per second), but their hearing fails at 650 on the low end. Man can hear about four octaves lower than the pigeon and five octaves lower than the starling or house sparrow. While they may not hear as wide a range as we can, birds are about ten times as sensitive to rapid changes in pitch and intensity. They can differentiate between frequencies less than 1% apart and separated by only .6 to 2.5 milliseconds.”

Hearing and the Bird Ear

“The range of hearing in many species of birds is comparable with that of mankind. Having a greatest sensitivity between 2000 and 4000 hertz (cycles per second). This is partly why bird song is so useful in bird identification - it is easy for us to hear - and partly why we find bird song so pleasant. In birds as a whole, the known hearing ranges vary from a lower limit of below 100 hertz to over 29000, though not all birds have this range. The common Mallard (Anus platyrhynchus) for instance has a range from 300 hz to 8000 hz….”

>}o-}o-   >}o-         >}o-    .......x
●_●
BBS Member
BBS Newbie

I love bird watching!

Re: frequency 問:雀鳥能夠聽到的音頻範圍
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24th, 2005, 4:34pm »

thanks a lot for your prompt reply and your useful info  
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.