BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 4th, 2024, 4:31pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   General 一般問題
(Moderators: BBS Moderators, Webcreeper)
   Plainer Eggs without Cuckoos 沒有杜鵑 少下花蛋
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Plainer Eggs without Cuckoos 沒有杜鵑 少下花蛋  (Read 732 times)
Webcreeper
BBS Moderator
BBS Member
BBS God

I'm a webcreeper

Plainer Eggs without Cuckoos 沒有杜鵑 少下花蛋
« on: Dec 20th, 2005, 9:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

3/12/05 New Scientist 英國《新科學家》雜誌

Weaver birds let their guard down

為了防止白眉金鵑(Diederik cuckoo)偷龍轉鳳,南非的黑頭織雀 (Village Weaver) 演化出有特別顏色和花紋的蛋,如果白眉金鵑在牠們的巢內下蛋,親鳥會很容易地 辨別出來,並將外來的蛋丟掉。

在100及200年前,黑頭織雀先後被人引進到毛里求斯和希斯班尼奧拉島繁殖,由於兩島都沒有杜鵑,而制造顏色和花紋要消耗資源,黑頭織雀在那裡下的蛋便漸漸失去原來的樣子,而以希島(時間較早)上的變化較大,和自然選擇的預測吻合。

The Original Paper 原來的論文:
Evolution of bird eggs in the absence of cuckoo parasitism
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2005, 9:23pm by Webcreeper » Logged

>}o-}o-   >}o-         >}o-    .......x
Jimmy_choi
BBS Member
BBS Junior Member

I love bird watching!

Re: Plainer Eggs without Cuckoos 沒有杜鵑 少下花
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23rd, 2005, 1:00pm »

That's interesting, I gave a short presentation on cuckoo's parasitic behaviour in my class last month and found that it MAY be possible for birdwatchers to carry out scientific studies on cuckoo's behaviour.

Unlike other behaviour studies, cuckoo's parasitic behaviour study requires very basic techniques. All you have to do is to find the nest with cuckoo's eggs, check the survival rate between host and parasitic youngs. You can also 'make' some eggs yourself and put them into the nest of prospective host, then check the rejection rate. I really encourage those of you who are interested or familiar with woodland birds' nest location, keep an eye on cuckoos and may carry out a study yourself !!
Webcreeper
BBS Moderator
BBS Member
BBS God

I'm a webcreeper

« Reply #2 on: Dec 23rd, 2005, 1:35pm »

on Dec 23rd, 2005, 1:00pm, Jimmy_choi wrote:
That's interesting, I gave a short presentation on cuckoo's parasitic behaviour in my class last month and found that it MAY be possible for birdwatchers to carry out scientific studies on cuckoo's behaviour.

Unlike other behaviour studies, cuckoo's parasitic behaviour study requires very basic techniques. All you have to do is to find the nest with cuckoo's eggs, check the survival rate between host and parasitic youngs. You can also 'make' some eggs yourself and put them into the nest of prospective host, then check the rejection rate. I really encourage those of you who are interested or familiar with woodland birds' nest location, keep an eye on cuckoos and may carry out a study yourself !!

Yes, it would be interesting to observe the behaviour and outcome of parasitism. However, please note that all wild birds are protected by the laws of Hong Kong. It is illegal to disturb bird nests, eggs or chicks. Moreover we must not disclose the location of bird nests to anyone who may harm the birds. Disturbance to the covering vegetation may also reveal the location of nests to potential predators.

It is good to raise the right kind of interest in birds among the public. But in doing so we should also highlight how vulnerable they are to human disturbance, and advice seriously against possible adverse effects.

能夠研究杜鵑的寄生行為和結果會頗為有趣,但是要留意:所有野生雀鳥都受香港 法律保護,干擾雀鳥的巢、蛋和幼鳥都屬犯法。再者,我們不應向可能傷害雀鳥的 人透露鳥巢的位置,就算干擾鳥巢附近的植被也可能將鳥巢曝光,讓鳥的天敵有機 可乘。

提高大眾對雀鳥的良好興趣固然好,但是我們也要同時強調雀鳥很容易受人類干擾 ,鄭重提醒人們小心處理,避免對雀鳥帶來壞的影響。

Jimmy_choi
BBS Member
BBS Junior Member

I love bird watching!

« Reply #3 on: Dec 23rd, 2005, 6:51pm »

oh thanks for reminding me... almost forgotten that important fact in HK....
Webcreeper
BBS Moderator
BBS Member
BBS God

I'm a webcreeper

« Reply #4 on: Dec 23rd, 2005, 8:01pm »

Thanks for your understanding too.

HKBWS do carry out studies on breeding birds, e.g. swallows, swifts, egrets, terns and sometimes woodland birds, but all are limited to observing from a distance. A licence from AFCD will be required if we want to do more, e.g. work on the nests or egges.  

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.