BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 3rd, 2024, 10:28pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   General 一般問題
(Moderators: BBS Moderators, Webcreeper)
   Cars inside Mai Po 持汽車通行證者非為鳥類普查請勿駕車進入米埔
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cars inside Mai Po 持汽車通行證者非為鳥類普查請勿駕車進入米埔  (Read 2852 times)
Lew_Young
BBS Member
BBS Junior Member

Cars inside Mai Po 持汽車通行證者非為鳥類普查請勿駕車進入米埔
« on: Apr 29th, 2006, 9:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dear All,

Over the past couple of years, there has been an increase in the number of private cars with Closed Area Permits entering Mai Po. Some of drivers got their FCA car permits through WWF because they were WWF staff or were carrying out research in the reserve. Other people got their permits through the HKBWS because they were waterbird counters who needed to drive their vehicles into the reserve in order to carry out their monthly counts.

Some months ago, a number of people mentioned that they were concerned about the number of cars driving along the FCA road and the disturbance that this causes to both the birds and visitors. Other people have asked why some cars can get permits to come into the reserve but they cannot get permits for their own cars.

As a result, WWF decided that in order to make it fair for everyone, we would stop helping our staff get permits to drive their own cars into the reserve, and we would also only help researchers to get their own car permits in very special cases. However, if anyone wants to drive their vehicle into the reserve for a special piece of work, WWF would help phone the Border Police and ask them to allow that vehicle in for that one occasion.  

WWF is now also asking those Society members who got their FCA vehicle permits through the HKBWS, to please only drive their cars into Mai Po when they are carrying out formal waterbird counts or other recognized studies for the Society. This is because a small number of these people with vehicle permits are driving their cars into Mai Po just so that they can take photographs or watch birds, rather than carry out formal work for the Society..

I hope the people with FCA vehicle permits can understand that to have this voluntary system in place will help minimize disturbance inside Mai Po which can only help to benefit the birds we watch and other visitors.

If you have any questions or comments then please let me know and I will try and answer them.

Many thanks,  

Lew Young
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2006, 10:37pm by Webcreeper » Logged
Karl
BBS Testing
BBS Senior Member

I love watching birds!

WWW Email

Re: Cars inside Mai Po 持汽車通行證者非為鳥類普查
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29th, 2006, 11:26pm »

I totally concur the suggestion and further on top, drivers should sign their name somewhere with reasons given.
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

Bird Photography - at its best ...

« Reply #2 on: May 1st, 2006, 10:04am »

Lew,

Any chance of WWFHK operates a mini electric shuttle to/from the car park and Gate 107 during certain hours, for example, an hour before high tide (2.2m) at Deep Bay. This would help people like myself carrying heavy photographic equipment to the boardwalk hides ...  

Thanks!

KK Hui FRPS
www.geocities.com/kkhui_001
Andrew
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 1st, 2006, 10:23am »

I'm not sure whether this is 'tongue in cheek' but book me in if it happens!
miket
BBS Member
BBS God

I'd rather be birding!

« Reply #4 on: May 1st, 2006, 2:26pm »

I would actually suggest that  
(i) the presence of cars along the fence road represents vastly less of a disturbance of the birds than groups of people walking - especially the very large groups that we frequently see,
(ii) these rare trips made by car by birders who have the permits because they carry out entirely voluntary work in the interests of conservation - fees from AFCD are donated to HKBWS -  constitute a tiny fraction of the number of vehicle journeys made along that road, the vast majority being made by fishpond operators vehicles, WWF vehicles and police vehicles (thus if there's any significant disturbance it's from those sources, but I don't see how you can stop that!),
(iii) I drive in about six times a year, at least four times for monthly counts usually (Nov. - Feb, sometimes others, undertaken at as little as 24 hours notice because someone can't do it), plus maybe a couple of times a year when not 'on duty', simply because I particularly want to look at, say Pond 20, and perhaps the southern end ponds. On these visits, over the five years or so I've had a road permit, I don't think I can remember 'disturbing' anybody in any way - how is that really possible, unless people are just driving rather too fast near groups of pedestrians? In fact I hardly ever even pass anybody on the road.
(iv) I counted the reserve at Mai Po on foot for years before I enquired about the possibility of a road permit, and have been involved in counting birds at Mai Po for nearly nineteen years, so I like to think I'm as entitled to it as anyone.  

I'm sorry but I'm not too impressed with this complaint, and especially not with the signing-in book suggestion, which I would request we do NOT pursue, above all because there's enough ridiculous paper-work and hassle surrounding visits to Mai Po as it is - when they'll actually let us in, that is. If people wish to have a permit themselves they should get involved in counting and other types of voluntary contribution of their time, and if they really have a complaint concerning disturbance they should feel free to note the car number and inform the police - I do hope they wouldn't just do that without genuine grounds for complaint, however.

Now, if it's disturbance your interested in, go have a look off the Boardwalk!!

Mike Turnbull
Andrew
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

« Reply #5 on: May 1st, 2006, 5:31pm »

I am currently unable to get in to Mai Po even on foot. Whilst the reserve was closed my permit expired and I forgot to renew it. On my first visit, I collected my closed area permit which WWF had automatically renewed and the girl in the office took my details and I was allowed on to the reserve. The second time it was a nightmare. Nobody wanted to take a decision on whether it was OK for me to go in or not. The wardens hut chap was pretty unhelpful and it took me over 30 minutes before I was told categorically this was the last time I could enter pending renewal of my permit. Well my application is still pending and I haven't bothered to try and go back to MPNR. The bureaucracy is petty and pathetic. I campaigned to get the reserve reopened, wrote my letters,I make donations to WWF HK but when I actually want to birdwatch and have allowed inadvertently my permit to lapse you'd think I was Jack the Ripper. God knows what would happen if I wanted to drive a car round the reserve.  So instead of enjoying my week off at MPNR as intended I'm off to Borneo tomorrow and perhaps, just perhaps, someone will have deigned to renew my permit by the time I get back. No hurry chaps. Take your time.

Andrew Hardacre.
Bob Thompson
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #6 on: May 1st, 2006, 6:14pm »

I would like to back the posting by KK Hui, I raised the question of an electric buggy to Lew Young earlier in the year and if implemented I am sure the buggy would be in constant use by photographers with heavy gear as well as the handicapped.

With an electric vehicle available it may not be necessary for those doing voluntary work to use there own car
Neil
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #7 on: May 1st, 2006, 6:57pm »

I also advocate an electric car/mini bus system to do a regular run around the reserve (hourly should be enough ) to move people around . It's not only those with heavy equipment that have a problem but anyone that have any physical incapacity would appreciate it. Neil.
Fred
BBS Member
BBS God

Birds are fascinating!

« Reply #8 on: May 1st, 2006, 7:44pm »

I further suggest the option of bike loan or rental operated by WWF.  They equally serve the purpose of better mobility and at the same time are more environmental friendly.  

Webcreeper
BBS Moderator
BBS Member
BBS God

I'm a webcreeper

« Reply #9 on: May 1st, 2006, 7:44pm »

How much would anyone like to pay for the electric car?

Not just the initial cost, but the administrative costs, driver, insurance and on-going maintenance?

Alternatively, would anyone like to pay for one or two decent tricycles instead?

>}o-}o-   >}o-         >}o-    .......x
Lynx
BBS Member
BBS God

« Reply #10 on: May 1st, 2006, 8:11pm »

I support the idea of bicycle rental at WWF office so that car users can "park and ride" there.  Moreover, how about special permission for environmental-friendly cars, e.g. ToXXta Prius, which is both low noise and low gas emission?

Welcome to Lynx Aviary
http://www.9014316.com/birds.htm
Bob Thompson
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #11 on: May 1st, 2006, 9:03pm »

on May 1st, 2006, 7:44pm, Webcreeper wrote:
How much would anyone like to pay for the electric car?

Not just the initial cost, but the administrative costs, driver, insurance and on-going maintenance?

Alternatively, would anyone like to pay for one or two decent tricycles instead?

It sounds like you are trying to get us all fit.

Electric vehicle or good tricycle, I don't mind but remember its been many years since some of us have ridden a bike
Lew_Young
BBS Member
BBS Junior Member

« Reply #12 on: May 1st, 2006, 9:24pm »

Thank you for all your comments.

We will certainly look into the possibility of having some kind of bicycle rental system for photgraphers with heavy equipment that they can use to get into the reserve.

I will contact some of you who have posted messages above to see what kind of bicycle would be most convenient.

Thanks, Lew
Bob Thompson
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #13 on: May 1st, 2006, 9:53pm »

Thanks Lew, can I have a chauffeur driven bike

Bob
Fred
BBS Member
BBS God

Birds are fascinating!

« Reply #14 on: May 1st, 2006, 10:11pm »

Let us compromise - an electric operated bike  
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.