BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 4th, 2024, 4:28am

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Photo Gallery 相片分享 I
(Moderators: Forrest FONG, BBS Moderators, Kwok Jai, George_Ho, carmen)
   Common Blackbird 烏鶇
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Common Blackbird 烏鶇  (Read 581 times)
Daniel CK Chan
BBS Member
BBS God

I love nature photography!

WWW Email

Common Blackbird 烏鶇
« on: Feb 7th, 2003, 8:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

303 Common Blackbird 烏鶇
Wun Yiu , Tai Po 碗窯 , 大埔
31/1/2003
EOS1V, EF500 + EF2X II, RDPIII @200
http://www.danielckchan.com/pagephotos/birds/birds20030002/images/B20030 056-1000.jpg

Best
Daniel
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2004, 10:03am by BBS Moderators » Logged

Daniel CK Chan
http://www.danielckchan.com
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

Re: Blackbird 烏鶇
« Reply #1 on: Feb 7th, 2003, 9:25pm »

有機會也帶我去見知一下!
BERNARD
BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

I love bird watching!

« Reply #2 on: Feb 9th, 2003, 2:30am »

Hi Daniel,

Your photos on this Blackbird and many other birds are sharp and excellant. But with 500mm and 2x is very expensive and very heavy to carry around with. I don't know why in Hong Kong we have to take photos of most of the  birds from such a great distance with ultra expensive lens and with so tough a task. I have just come back from London and find out that many birds are not shy ! In Hyde Park  I saw a bird feeder putting some food on his palm. Immediately a Robin flied to his palm for a short while. A Great Tit (yellow belly in Europe) was staring at his palm and the bird was only about 5 feet away ! It didn't fly to his palm because a feral pigeon was very disturbing. I took pics of the above 2 birds with 28-200mm cheap lens only about 5 feet away. Blackbirds are overabundent in London city parks and my camera was only about 3 feet from them ! Gulls, ducks and geese can be feeded with your hands if you wish !  At one time a Heron flied and landed just next to me ! There are some bird feeding tables in some gardens to deliberately attract birds.  

I suggest we should have some bird feeding tables in some gardens or parks. At least one in Tai Po Kau and one in Kadorie Farm.

As Arthur Morris suggested, sometimes we do need extension tube or macro lens to take close up pictures on some birds because they are too close !

Probably the western people's attitude towards the birds is much more friendly than us. That's why the birds in Europe/America are not so shy. I don't believe a Great Tit in Europe has any genetic difference on level of shyness compare to a Great Tit in Hong Kong.

I suggest there should be more education about protecting environment and friendlyness towards wildlife.  

Bernard.
Daniel CK Chan
BBS Member
BBS God

I love nature photography!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 10th, 2003, 2:10pm »

Bernard,

Thanks. I understand your feelings as I got same experiences when travelling overseas. For those wild birds living in the wild such as Alaska, Yellowstone, Kenya, they still kept a distance from us but sometimes it was enough for a 400mm to take a good portrait shot. 500 or 600mm lens will certainly produce more excellent results in the field (see those excellent photographers in avian forum of nautrephotograhper.net).

For bird photography, I had failed many times despite having the super Tele lens. I am now more patient with these lovely birds. In order to capture a good shot, sometimes I spend hours to sit at the same areas for the birds adapting your exist and your no harm to him/her.  Maybe the birds will allow you take a close up pictures but sometimes you got no shot after a day trip. The birds have the right, u know….. :>

I don’t know whether feeding is good or not. I do think that we should provide a nature and wild environment where the birds like to re-visit and find foods.  Education is a must. Unfortunately, Chinese culture and Chinese like eating birds and wild animals. It may be the reason why there is less approachable wildlife in China and birds afraid of people compared to other countries. I had even talked to the resident in Mai Po and they used to capture many spotted doves as foods years ago.

PS. About HK parks, luckily I had met a Great Tit in Kln park in a 3-4 meter away from me. She was busy to find foods in the tree and simply ignored me.  I had also met other birds like Black-crowned Night Heron, Rose-ringed Parakeet, Sunbird, Common Tailorbird etc. that they were relatively less shy and I could use my handheld 400mm to take pictures.

Best
Daniel

« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2003, 2:19pm by Daniel CK Chan » Logged

Daniel CK Chan
http://www.danielckchan.com
鳥友A(BWA)
Committee Member
BBS God

I love Nature!

« Reply #4 on: Feb 10th, 2003, 8:31pm »

在香港的白胸秧雞聽到人聲便逃,在星加坡Sungei Buloh Nature Park(當地的米埔)的就在你的腳下來回踱步!

The White-brested Waterhen in Hong Kong flees on hearing the slightest human noise.  At Sungei Buloh Nature Park in Singapore, I met one that walked around under my fleet as I had my lunch.
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2003, 8:34pm by 鳥友A(BWA) » Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.