BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 4th, 2024, 2:28pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Photo Gallery 相片分享 I
(Moderators: Kwok Jai, George_Ho, carmen, Forrest FONG, BBS Moderators)
   Important Message - Uploading photos
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Important Message - Uploading photos  (Read 1474 times)
Mike Kilburn

Email

Important Message - Uploading photos
« on: May 3rd, 2003, 1:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi everyone  

I heard it is possible to post photos without uploading them to another website first. I have struggled to do this, so if there is a way to do this please let me know as I would like to contribute my photos to the BBS too.

Cheers

Mike
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2003, 1:58am by Forrest FONG » Logged
Forrest FONG
BBS Administrator

I love Bird Watching!

Email

Re: Uploading photos
« Reply #1 on: May 5th, 2003, 1:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your message and trying to post your photos in the BBS.

Before I explain how to post photo in the BBS, I would like to iterate that some special features of the BBS, e.g. modifying your posted messages, instant messages, highlight of new messages, etc. could not be used unless you log in as a member of the BBS. Therefore,I should be grateful if you and all other BBS members could log in for posting message in the BBS or just for reading the messages in the BBS.

"I heard it is possible to post photos without uploading them to another website first. I have struggled to ......"
Don't struggle and please just send the photo files to me for posting. By doing this, you don't need to upload them to a hosting web server.

Please let me clarify that all the photo/messages/figures must be stored in a hosting web server for displaying in the BBS. That means we need to upload the photos from our computer to a hosting web server. There are a lot of web servers for people to store their files in the internet, .e.g.  
www.picturetrail.com  
www.photounme.com  
www.hkdcug.com  
www.yahoo.com.hk(geocities) - this site is having problem in displaying the photo directly in the BBS. However, you can still use it (not Yahoo at USA or other area) for storing your stuff in the internet.

Mike, I know that you are using hkstar.com. They have provided 8M space for you to upload your stuff onto the web server.

For more details about your storage area in the ISP server, you can visit the following webpage:  

http://www2.netvigator.com/services/techsupp/bb/settings/upload_ftp.html  

Below is a guide showing the procedures for accessing your hosting web server and uploading  your photo onto it.

http://www.hkbws.org.hk/fileServer/forrest/upload%20file%20to%20your%20I SP%20server.doc

Hope the above could solve your problem in posting photo in the BBS.

Forrest

FF
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

Bird Photography - at its best ...

Re: Important Message - Uploading photos
« Reply #2 on: May 5th, 2003, 2:33pm »

Hi Forrest,

Finding a reliable and 'free of charge'/low cost image hosting ISP is rear in these days and age!  Just my observation, since you as a moderator will, in most cases, transfer posted images to the HKBWS web server for a more permanent display/record, would you not consider allowing storage space for members posting their shots directly onto the BBS forum. It may actually relief some of your works as a moderator too ...  

You can always limit the posting frequency for each member, for example once every two days, if necessary just to throttle the memory usage so to speak.  

Best
kk
--------------
www.geocities.com/kkhui_001
Mike Kilburn

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 5th, 2003, 6:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Forrest & KK

Happy to use my registered name but I forgot it -oops.  Appreciate it if you could email me my login name and password.

Thanks for your offer to post my pix that would help a lot!

One comment on KK's suggestion of allwing direct posting:

You could check out the Surfbirds website (www.surfbirds.com) rarity pages. They limit pix to  max size of 40K to save storage,  and the download time is v quick - even on 56K modem!

the other benefit about 40K pix is that they look fine on the web but are not good for "stealing" as Samson suffers from.  I am not techy enough to understand how their site works, but it seems to work pretty welll with not too much maintenance.

Cheers  
Mike
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

« Reply #4 on: May 5th, 2003, 8:36pm »

on May 5th, 2003, 6:06pm, Mike Kilburn wrote:
... One comment on KK's suggestion of allwing direct posting:
You could check out the Surfbirds website (www.surfbirds.com) rarity pages. They limit pix to  max size of 40K to save storage,  and the download time is v quick - even on 56K modem! the other benefit about 40K pix is that they look fine on the web but are not good for "stealing" as Samson suffers from.  I am not techy enough to understand how their site works, but it seems to work pretty welll with not too much maintenance.

To have reasonably high quality display and to minimize downloading time even for 56k dail-up, image size must be limited to 600 pixels on its longest side eg 600 x 400 pixels with a maximum file size kept to no more than 95KB (RGB JPEG files only) ...  40KB may be just too much to ask for good quality image for web viewing!

Best
kk
-------------

Forrest FONG
BBS Administrator

I love Bird Watching!

Email

« Reply #5 on: May 8th, 2003, 10:30pm »

Dear BBS members,

First of all thank you Mike & KK Hui for their comments/suggestions above and those in their previous messages (see the links below) on improving the BBS.

Image Size: Mike
http://www.hkbws.org.hk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Discussion;action=dis play;num=1050328565
Website/photo album could not be accessed by BBS: KK Hui
http://www.hkbws.org.hk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=PhotoGallery;action=d isplay;num=1044874552;start=4

I also received a BBS member's comments on resizing the posted photos in the BBS:

Hi forrest, just want to give some comments on your recent action to resize photos/modify thread contents. It seems not respecting the author or ppl who post the photo/message while it also increased your work load.  Of course you are the person to manage the board and may have the right to do so.  However, as photo size does affect the quality and your action to modify before obtaining the intellectual owners' approval does affect the mood the ppl who post it/watch it or even offense the owner.  Especially when the original photo is already a very small file, say 1xx kb.  It's quite meaningless to compress it to, say 35k, for whatever purpose(shortening loading time? is there any material difference when most of the ppl have broadband? if you consider storage space? why don't you just leave them on their original server?)  

PPL who bought $60000/lens, such as KK hui, 648, Daniel, may now look like posting photos shoot with lens which costed them $3000 only.....so do you think it will affect their mood?  This may also hinder high quality photos being posted by them.   As a reader, I am also very frustrated with the recent downgrades on the photos posted here.  

So, please understand I am not offending here, but just want to help improving this broad.  Hope you don't mind my comments! 29/4/03

Please accept my apology for not replying or feed backing them immediately and one-by-one since I was fully engaged in my own work previously and needed to seek more technical advices. Now, may I have a collective reply as below:

FF
Forrest FONG
BBS Administrator

I love Bird Watching!

Email

To allow BBS members uploading photo directly onto
« Reply #6 on: May 8th, 2003, 10:32pm »

1) To allow BBS members uploading photo directly onto HKBWS server

Free of charge & reliable hosting ISP is very rare now and therefore, this issue is most concerned by all of us. We, in fact, have already thought about it during restructuring the BBS in last September and up to this moment, it is still found to be not feasible due to the various existing constraints. However, I can tell you that we are preparing to re-structure the HKBWS web site in the near future and I hope the new web site could provide this uploading function, at least for our HKBWS members. Of course we need to sort out a lot of resources & administration issues first:-

- A great amount of programming work as well as administration work are required to modify the existing program and the operation mode. It could not be done only by our Webmaster himself during after work

- We may need to set up a database system in the server for storing the posted photos systematically and controlling the stuff being uploaded to the server. Unfortunately, the hosting site at this moment does not allow us to run any database program within it.

- The original set up of HKBWS web site is for very simple web pages posting only which we are required to pay the service charge at a super special discount rate of $1200 per year. Of course, the storage size and transfer rate allowed by the hosting site are also very limited. To do this, we may be required to upgrade the existing web posting service or even set up our own web server. However, in both cases, HKBWS will need to pay more each month.  

I think we all understand that money is a very big problem to HKBWS and any additional expense will definitely induce further burden on the sourcing of funding, donation & subsidies, etc. Please also note that most of the administration works of HKBWS including the maintenance of the web site & BBS are solely relied on volunteers. Therefore, if you can offer any kind of support/assistance, please kindly send an email to tell me.

FF
Forrest FONG
BBS Administrator

I love Bird Watching!

Email

Quality & sizes of posted photo
« Reply #7 on: May 8th, 2003, 10:53pm »

2) Quality & sizes of posted photo
Photo a

Photo b

Just from the screen, can you tell me which photo is in the size of 45k and which one is 100k.

Photo c (1024x685)
Photo d (800x535) *photos are posted in the following link:
http://www.hkbws.org.hk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=PhotoGallery;action=d isplay;num=1052442967;start=0

Which one do you prefer, photo C or photo D?

***Remarks: Since the width of the photo d (over 800 in resolution) is larger than the screen and will enlarges/widens the text column which making the text of all messages go outside (beyond the right hand side) the screen, it is posted separately so as not to affect the other messages in the thread.  

"……if you consider storage space? why don't you just leave them on their original server?……”

I would clarify that resizing of the posted photos is not due to considering storage problem of the HKBWS file server.  

I agree that photo size does affect the quality and it does affect the loading time too. I have reiterated in my previous messages (http://www.hkbws.org.hk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Spoonbill;action=disp lay;num=1038650045;start=0) that the optimum setting for photo posting in BBS is 640x480 and not more than 50k in size.

We can see that there is no big difference between 1xxk photo & 30~50k photo for web viewing but the loading time for the 1xxk photo is much much longer (10 times or even more) than 50k photo. The 56k users always encounter difficulty in loading file over 100k due to the long loading period required.

Please understand that although broadband connection is very common in HK now, some BBS visitors are still using 56k due to various reasons, eg. unavailable in remote area (Mike’s case), visitors from Mainland China & oversea area, financial problem (the broadband service charge for commercial use is unaffordable to HKBWS office) etc. I think we should strike for a balance between quality & size and show consideration to all the BBS users.

Therefore, I would like to request BBS members to use the optimum setting I mentioned above to post their photos in the BBS, i.e. not more than 640x480 in resolution and 50k in size. For complicate image, higher resolution (800) and more than 50k in size can be adopted but in any case, the photo should not exceed 100k in size. If the posted photo is exceeding 100k in size, I will compress it into a smaller size for proper displaying in the BBS. Please be assured that I will try my best to keep the effect due to resizing as less as possible.
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2003, 9:22am by Forrest FONG » Logged

FF
Forrest FONG
BBS Administrator

I love Bird Watching!

Email

UploadingUploading the posted photos to HKBWS file
« Reply #8 on: May 8th, 2003, 11:09pm »

3) Uploading the posted photos to HKBWS file server

If we just leave the posted photos on their original servers, most of them will disappear after being posting for a short period, sometimes just a few minutes (e.g. geocities).Then, you will only see an empty box left in the message.  

It is very often that the links of the photos are disconnected due to different reasons, e.g. cancellation of account, transfer rate had over the limit, etc.

So as to ensure the photo could be displayed properly and faster in the BBS, I have sought the authors’ kind agreement for HKBWS to download their posted photos onto the HKBWS file server and modify the URL of the photo in their posted messages.

To minimize the moderator's workload! I should be grateful if you could use the setting I mentioned above to post your photo in the BBS. In addition, please also adopt the following format for showing the photo details, bird name, location & date, etc. so as to facilitate the searching of photos and the reorganization of them in future:-

Subject: <English Name> <Chinese Name> <Message Title>
date: xx/x/xxxx
equiupment:xxxxx

e.g.
Black-faced Spoonbill 黑臉琵鷺 Feeding 覓食
Mai Po 米埔
13/3/2003
Leica77 + 995

FF
Forrest FONG
BBS Administrator

I love Bird Watching!

Email

White-tailed Sea Eagle 白尾海鵰 (Hokkaido 北海道)
« Reply #9 on: May 9th, 2003, 12:02am »

a sample for showing the format of the photo detail.

Hokkaido 北海道
21/1/2001
Leica77 + Sony S70
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2003, 12:04am by Forrest FONG » Logged

FF
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

Re: Quality & sizes of posted photo
« Reply #10 on: May 9th, 2003, 9:44am »

on May 8th, 2003, 10:53pm, Forrest FONG wrote:
...  Therefore, I would like to request BBS members to use the optimum setting I mentioned above to post their photos in the BBS, i.e. not more than 640x480 in resolution and 50k in size. For complicate image, higher resolution (800) and more than 50k in size can be adopted but in any case, the photo should not exceed 100k in size. If the posted photo is exceeding 100k in size, I will compress it into a smaller size for proper displaying in the BBS. Please be assured that I will try my best to keep the effect due to resizing as less as possible.

Hi Forrest,

Thanks for your effort in tackling the issue of image file size. Your approach is understandable and from a birder point of view, the set limits is more than adequate I suppose, that is 640 x 480 pixels and 50kB file size. Bear in mind though that file size between the range of 50kB and 100kB  DOES make a difference in image quality even for web viewing. Minute details and color rendition are lost if file size are kept 'too small'.

Since I'm more of a photograhper than a birder naturally I'm much preoccupied with ultimate image quality viewers can get. As this is a birder's site not a photographic site, I truly support your notion ...

Regards
kk
--------------

« Last Edit: May 9th, 2003, 9:47am by KK Hui » Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.