BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 4th, 2024, 8:20pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Photo Gallery 相片分享 I
(Moderators: Forrest FONG, BBS Moderators, Kwok Jai, carmen, George_Ho)
   Crested Serpent Eagle 蛇鵰
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Crested Serpent Eagle 蛇鵰  (Read 713 times)
Daniel CK Chan
BBS Member
BBS God

I love nature photography!

WWW Email

Crested Serpent Eagle 蛇鵰
« on: Jul 30th, 2003, 11:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

071 Crested Serpent Eagle 蛇鵰
Tsim Bei Tsui 尖鼻咀
05/7/2003
Canon EOS10D, 1/640, f5.6, +1, ISO200, 50% Full Frame
http://www.danielckchan.com/b20030273-0600.jpg

« Last Edit: May 20th, 2004, 2:51pm by BBS Moderators » Logged

Daniel CK Chan
http://www.danielckchan.com
Mike Kilburn

Email

Re: Crested Serpent Eagle ??
« Reply #1 on: Aug 1st, 2003, 9:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

congratulations Daniel!  I haven't seen the Ng Tung Chai bird on its perch for some time, but with such a good flight shot doesn't really matter-la!

Mike
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

Bird Photography - at its best ...

Re: Crested Serpent Eagle 蛇鵰
« Reply #2 on: Aug 1st, 2003, 4:57pm »

Excellent shot, Daniel!  

500 + 1.4x ??

Best
kk
--------------
www.geocities.com/kkhui_001
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2003, 4:58pm by KK Hui » Logged
Daniel CK Chan
BBS Member
BBS God

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 1st, 2003, 11:07pm »

on Aug 1st, 2003, 9:36am, Mike Kilburn wrote:
congratulations Daniel!  I haven't seen the Ng Tung Chai bird on its perch for some time, but with such a good flight shot doesn't really matter-la!

Mike

Mike,

Thanks. Would it be a 1st or 2nd year immature bird?

KK,

The photo is shot with 500+1.4+Wimberley Head.

Daniel

Daniel CK Chan
Mike Kilburn

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 2nd, 2003, 10:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm not an expert on aging raprtors, but in the photo you can see that it is moulting its inner primaries.  These new feathers have a  contrasting strong black tip and a broad white band across the feathers.

When they grow to full length this will become the classic broad white bar with a black border along the rear edge of the wing which is the diagnostic feature for flying CSEagle.  

However the feathers which are not yet moulted have narrower brown lines and the tips are no so dark. This is typical juvenile plumage.   I do not know how long this plumage is retained and would welcome the opinions of others, especially those who know about the moult strategies of eagles.

You can also see that the spotting on the breast and belly is well defined as an adult would show, but raptors moult these feathers first and then replace their fligth feathers during the summer.  

"Birds of Prey in Japan" states that juvile plumage is replaced by full adult plumage by the end of the autumn of the second calendar year.  This would correspond with the plumage of this bird. so my guess (I stress Guess!) is that it is a second year bird which will be in full adult plumage by the end of the year!  

Cheers  
Mike
Daniel CK Chan
BBS Member
BBS God

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 2nd, 2003, 11:28am »

on Aug 2nd, 2003, 10:12am, Mike Kilburn wrote:
I'm not an expert on aging raprtors, but in the photo you can see that it is moulting its inner primaries.  These new feathers have a  contrasting strong black tip and a broad white band across the feathers.

When they grow to full length this will become the classic broad white bar with a black border along the rear edge of the wing which is the diagnostic feature for flying CSEagle.  

However the feathers which are not yet moulted have narrower brown lines and the tips are no so dark. This is typical juvenile plumage.   I do not know how long this plumage is retained and would welcome the opinions of others, especially those who know about the moult strategies of eagles.

You can also see that the spotting on the breast and belly is well defined as an adult would show, but raptors moult these feathers first and then replace their fligth feathers during the summer.  

"Birds of Prey in Japan" states that juvile plumage is replaced by full adult plumage by the end of the autumn of the second calendar year.  This would correspond with the plumage of this bird. so my guess (I stress Guess!) is that it is a second year bird which will be in full adult plumage by the end of the year!  

Cheers  
Mike

Many thanks for your informative explanations. If your guess is true, I strongly want to see or take photos of him/her again by the end of this year when he shall show his/her beautiful full adult plumage. ::)
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2003, 11:30am by Daniel CK Chan » Logged

Daniel CK Chan
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.