BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 5th, 2024, 10:26am

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Photo Gallery 相片分享 I
(Moderators: BBS Moderators, George_Ho, Kwok Jai, carmen, Forrest FONG)
   Zitting Cisticola 棕扇尾鶯
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Zitting Cisticola 棕扇尾鶯  (Read 2286 times)
xyz_ps
BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

I love bird watching!

6397271 6397271    

Zitting Cisticola 棕扇尾鶯
« on: Dec 27th, 2003, 5:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

343 Zitting Cisticola 棕扇尾鶯
Long Valley 塱原
12/25/2003
Fuji S2Pro
Leica Telyt-S 800/6.3
http://www.hklfc.com/non-cgi/attach/2003/12/27/42665-DSCF6079FantailWarb ler100-embed.jpg
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2004, 12:18pm by BBS Moderators » Logged
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

Bird Photography - at its best ...

Re: Fantail Warbler
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27th, 2003, 5:55pm »

on Dec 27th, 2003, 5:42pm, xyz_ps wrote:
... Fuji S2Pro, Leica Telyt-S 800/6.3 ...

Interesting that you are onto an old vintage Leica. How do you like it? Do you see any advantage of not going AF-S in your case?

KK Hui ARPS
www.geocities.com/kkhui_001
xyz_ps
BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

I love bird watching!

6397271 6397271    

« Reply #2 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 4:50am »

on Dec 27th, 2003, 5:55pm, KK Hui wrote:

Interesting that you are onto an old vintage Leica. How do you like it? Do you see any advantage of not going AF-S in your case?

KK Hui ARPS

Advantages:
1. You can get the old Leica's quality.  To name a few, I can get the "3D feel" and color saturation that my Nikon 300/2.8 can't give me.

2. You do have a stronger FEEL of "Taking Photographs" instead of "Shooting birds" because you spend more time on technical issues.  May be it will be better if I get used to the way to control this lens. However.....

3. I just borrowed my friend's lens to have test shots. So, I don't need to pay the high cost of AF-S

However, one may never be able to shoot moving objects/panning with this huge lens.

You used Nikon's AFS before.  What's your comment on it when compared with Canon's USM?  
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2003, 4:53am by xyz_ps » Logged
xyz_ps
BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

I love bird watching!

6397271 6397271    

« Reply #3 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 5:17am »

http://www.hklfc.com/non-cgi/attach/2003/12/28/42712-DSCF6078-embed.jpg
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2004, 11:43pm by Sophia » Logged
xyz_ps
BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

I love bird watching!

6397271 6397271    

« Reply #4 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 5:17am »

http://www.hklfc.com/non-cgi/attach/2003/12/28/42711-DSCF6114-embed.jpg
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2004, 11:43pm by Sophia » Logged
xyz_ps
BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

I love bird watching!

6397271 6397271    

« Reply #5 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 5:18am »

http://www.hklfc.com/non-cgi/attach/2003/12/28/42710-DSCF6111-embed.jpg

« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2004, 11:44pm by Sophia » Logged
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

« Reply #6 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 10:56am »

on Dec 28th, 2003, 4:50am, xyz_ps wrote:
... You used Nikon's AFS before.  What's your comment on it when compared with Canon's USM?  

To be honest I'm also a big fan of Leica optics. Unless you shoot stationary birds, manual focusing is a real challenge. Nothing beats the AF-S and/or USM AF in my opinion. Both systems, EOS and/or Nikon AF, delivery the results especially for action shots such as bird inflight ...  

Enjoy your Leica!
xyz_ps
BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

I love bird watching!

6397271 6397271    

« Reply #7 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 2:04pm »

on Dec 28th, 2003, 10:56am, KK Hui wrote:

To be honest I'm also a big fan of Leica optics. Unless you shoot stationary birds, manual focusing is a real challenge. Nothing beats the AF-S and/or USM AF in my opinion. Both systems, EOS and/or Nikon AF, delivery the results especially for action shots such as bird inflight ...  

Enjoy your Leica!

So, according to your experience, which one (AFS/USM) is a better focusing system?  I know the optical quality of Nikon may be a bit better than or par with Canon at 600mm.  However, it seems that most of your recent photos, before you used 10D, inclined to Canon than Nikon.  Action shots is more demanding on the focusing system.  Therefore, I really need your user comment on both of them.

You may PM me if you don't wish to publicly talk about their performance.  As you know, one may only be able to afford only one system, so which one to enter is a "big investment decision".  Thanks!  
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 3:13pm »

Peter:

我有一位朋友正在使用LEICA 800mm/f5.6,也在拍攝飛鳥(體型較大的),同時也在尋求適合的dslr,可有任何提議?  

KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

« Reply #9 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 3:39pm »

Peter,
As far as super telephotos are concerned, optic-wise Canon EF is on par with Nikon AF-S. If one starts from fresh, I'd say 'go for Canon EOS'. The IS feature in EOS alone would be an important consideration for focal length greater than 600mm.

But then again Nikon will soon be 'converting' all its super telephotos to VR anyway; just a matter of time. For AF bodies, they are very close indeed with the D2H auto focusing having a slight lead at present. But the table will once be turned come next spring when Canon anounces a new 1D replacement!

You can't go wrong with either systems ...

Fei,
Your friend could do with a Leica->EOS mount adapter for using his Leica-R lens on EOS DSLR. Step-down metering is called for however and will work in M or Av mode.  

« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2003, 7:51pm by KK Hui » Logged
felixcat
BBS Member
BBS God

watch birds and be watched ...

« Reply #10 on: Dec 30th, 2003, 12:47am »

Peter,

Next time you have to let me enjoy the power of LEICA 800mm/f5.6 and I know you have already tried very hard last time to share your enjoyment of being a LEICA fan.  Thanks anyway.

KK,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience of bird photography with such amatuers as me and telling nikonians like me as well that we still have chances of getting good bird photos with our existing Nikon AF system.

But one point I cannot get is why the IS (or VR) is important for big lens which are usually used with tripods.  Since there is still no VR big lens in Nikon, would you mind sharing your experience of IS in that case with us?

Felix
xyz_ps
BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

I love bird watching!

6397271 6397271    

« Reply #11 on: Dec 30th, 2003, 8:52am »

on Dec 30th, 2003, 12:47am, felixcat wrote:
Peter,

Next time you have to let me enjoy the power of LEICA 800mm/f5.6 and I know you have already tried very hard last time to share your enjoyment of being a LEICA fan.  Thanks anyway.

Felix

Well, I also haven't tried 800/5.6 and really want to shoot with it as well.
The lens I shot with was 800/6.3 but it doesn't belong to me.  I also want to keep it for myself but definitely it's TOO EXPENSIVE!!!  Another shortfall is that the minimum focus distance is too long so I missed some good opportunities when I have close encounter with birds.  The lens itself is also too bulky and too long so not mobile enough.
« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2003, 8:59am by xyz_ps » Logged
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

« Reply #12 on: Dec 30th, 2003, 11:43am »

on Dec 30th, 2003, 12:47am, felixcat wrote:
... But one point I cannot get is why the IS (or VR) is important for big lens which are usually used with tripods.  Since there is still no VR big lens in Nikon, would you mind sharing your experience of IS in that case with us? ...

At 600 mm and above even the slightest movement such as the releasing of shutter is hugely magnified producing less than sharp images. MLU helps to some extend but the IS feature is a BIG plus if you do use extender converter(s) with your super telephotos often.  

KK Hui ARPS

Daniel CK Chan
BBS Member
BBS God

I love nature photography!

WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 30th, 2003, 2:20pm »

on Dec 30th, 2003, 11:43am, KK Hui wrote:

At 600 mm and above even the slightest movement such as the releasing of shutter is hugely magnified producing less than sharp images. MLU helps to some extend but the IS feature is a BIG plus if you do use extender converter(s) with your super telephotos often.  

KK Hui ARPS

I recommend to take KK’s advice as he possesses and has sophisticated experiences in Canon IS, Non-IS and Nikon non-VR versions of super-tele lenses.

So you worth to wait and own the VR version big lens in my opinion. As a former Nikon user, I also suggest to wait for the sufficient user field tests before this important decision.

My IS big lens has very good performance for still shot with “IS” ON even having tripod attached. It even works great especially with tele-converter(s) attached. The small motion on super-tele lens such as shaking hand(s) or blowing wind will make you get not-perfectly-sharp image. Now I always turn it on for motion and still shot for my practice.  

Cheers

Daniel CK Chan
http://www.danielckchan.com
Hendrix
BBS Member
BBS God

I love wings!

« Reply #14 on: Dec 30th, 2003, 4:51pm »

Some news said Nikon will made some VR tele-converter

like 1.4X VR  or just 1X VR  

www.look.hk welcome you
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.