BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 5th, 2024, 2:19pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Photo Gallery 相片分享 I
(Moderators: Kwok Jai, George_Ho, carmen, Forrest FONG, BBS Moderators)
   Black Kite&Common Magpie 黑鳶&喜鵲
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Black Kite&Common Magpie 黑鳶&喜鵲  (Read 628 times)
Anguslau
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

Black Kite&Common Magpie 黑鳶&喜鵲
« on: Jan 10th, 2004, 5:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

067 Black Kite 黑鳶
444 Common Magpie 喜鵲
Mai Po Nature Reserve 米埔自然保護區
08/1/2004
EOS 10D,EF300 + 2x + 1.4x
#1:
The Kite tried to land on the tree, but the Magpie approached it aggressively, forcing the Kite to flee.
http://www.pbase.com/image/24988291.jpg

#2:
Ten minutes later, the Magpie was still chasing the Kite.
http://www.pbase.com/image/24988293.jpg

Perhaps this is already common knowledge, I found it surprising to see a Magpie confronting a Kite last Thursday. The Magpie seemed to have the upper hand.   May be its nest is near by and he/she was defending his/her territory. These are not good pictures at all since they are very far away, just to record the behaviour.
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2004, 5:31pm by BBS Moderators » Logged
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

Bird Photography - at its best ...

Re: Magpie & Kite
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 5:25pm »

I like the first shot, Angus! Not bad at all with stacked converters!    What aperture did you use for this shot do you remember?

Kite seems to be part of Magpie/Collared Crow life and vic versa.  I once noticed number of Magpies doing the same to an Imperial Eagle, much larger in size of course, which was perching on a tree top. He just ignored them  

KK Hui ARPS
www.geocities.com/kkhui_001

« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2004, 5:27pm by KK Hui » Logged
Geoff Carey

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 8:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

December and January is the time when many Magpies in HK are nest-building, and so your surmise is probably correct.

Geoff
Anguslau
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12th, 2004, 10:22am »

KK,

I used f11 (ie stopped down 1 full stop) for stacked converters. Thanks for your suggestions a while back.  This has become my standard setting when stacking converters for the EF300. It works really well. The only problems are the very slow autofocus and shutter speeds. But its very usable for still shots.  

BTW, these are more than 50% crops of the originals.  
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

Bird Photography - at its best ...

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12th, 2004, 10:55am »

on Jan 12th, 2004, 10:22am, Anguslau wrote:
... The only problems are the very slow autofocus and shutter speeds. But its very usable for still shots ...

Thanks!  
Ah, but you have the EF300/2.8 IS version, right? This really makes a whole lot difference when it comes to stacked converters ...  

KK Hui ARPS
www.geocities.com/kkhui_001
isaac_chan
BBS Member
BBS God

Praise the Creator for His amazing works!

« Reply #5 on: Jan 12th, 2004, 1:28pm »

on Jan 12th, 2004, 10:22am, Anguslau wrote:
KK,

I used f11 (ie stopped down 1 full stop) for stacked converters. Thanks for your suggestions a while back.  This has become my standard setting when stacking converters for the EF300. It works really well. The only problems are the very slow autofocus and shutter speeds. But its very usable for still shots.  

BTW, these are more than 50% crops of the originals.  

At least you can still autofocus. I tried 2x + 1.4x and I had to use manual focusing all the time.  

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.
Anguslau
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #6 on: Jan 13th, 2004, 3:12pm »

Yes, KK, the f2.8 IS version is very nice. I really love it the more I used it.  

Isaac, I thought your 300 is also f2.8? If so, you should be able to autofocus like mine if you are using the 10D. Although the 10D only autofocus down to f5.6 and the stacked converter setup is f8, but it still works due to Canon's own "limitation".   The only way to stack the EF II converters is to mount them like: Lens - EF2 - EF1.4 - 10D. The camera will only "see" the EF2, thinking it is f5.6 and enabled autofocus. It used to be very marginal when I used the D60, but works quite well using the 10D. Focus accuracy is dead on as well - much better then I can manual focus.  

Is it because you are not using the EF II converters?  
isaac_chan
BBS Member
BBS God

Praise the Creator for His amazing works!

« Reply #7 on: Jan 15th, 2004, 3:20am »

Angus,

I use D100.... The converters are Sigma's. The autofocus system which D100 use is not quite advanced
  , I think. I do not have Nikon's converters, so I don't know the performance differences.

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.