BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 6th, 2024, 6:30pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Photo Gallery 相片分享 I
(Moderators: carmen, Forrest FONG, Kwok Jai, BBS Moderators, George_Ho)
   Black-winged Stilt 黑翅長腳鷸 chick 幼鳥
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Black-winged Stilt 黑翅長腳鷸 chick 幼鳥  (Read 644 times)
Daniel CK Chan
BBS Member
BBS God

I love nature photography!

WWW Email

Black-winged Stilt 黑翅長腳鷸 chick 幼鳥
« on: Jun 13th, 2004, 10:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

107 Black-winged Stilt 黑翅長腳鷸 chick 幼鳥
Mai Po 米埔
12/6/2004
EOS10D + EF600 IS + EF1.4II, ISO200
http://www.danielckchan.com/b20040088.jpg

http://www.danielckchan.com/b20040090.jpg

« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2004, 10:14am by BBS Moderators » Logged

Daniel CK Chan
http://www.danielckchan.com
me_domchan
BBS Administrator

I love bird watching!

Re: Black-winged stilt 黑翅長腳鷸 chick 幼鳥
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13th, 2004, 11:50pm »

I saw them today too!  

KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

Bird Photography - at its best ...

« Reply #2 on: Jun 14th, 2004, 9:27am »

Excellent, Daniel!  
Cute little chick ...  
Got to love the closeup. Can we have more?  
How do you like the 600 now that you have a chance going out shooting with it in the field? The two shots look sharp. Was the lens wide open with the 1.4x?

KK Hui ARPS
www.geocities.com/kkhui_001
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2004, 9:30am by KK Hui » Logged
isaac_chan
BBS Member
BBS God

Praise the Creator for His amazing works!

Re: Black-winged Stilt 黑翅長腳鷸 chick 幼鳥
« Reply #3 on: Jun 14th, 2004, 12:47pm »

It's cute!

I went on the same day as you, but I only saw 2 Black-winged Stilt hatching.

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.
Daniel CK Chan
BBS Member
BBS God

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 14th, 2004, 2:16pm »

on Jun 14th, 2004, 9:27am, KK Hui wrote:
Excellent, Daniel!  
Cute little chick ...  
Got to love the closeup. Can we have more?  
How do you like the 600 now that you have a chance going out shooting with it in the field? The two shots look sharp. Was the lens wide open with the 1.4x?

KK Hui ARPS

KK,

Some more could be posted later with my spare time, you know………

I had difficulties to track birds in flight with my 600 on 10D last Sat. I lost many and even was not able to catch with the birds flying towards and above me. The background was the same toned white or blue sky. The lens stopped hunting around when the object was OOF. It seems different from the experience with my previously owned 500. When I could take many photos though many of them would not be sharp (just) due to inaccurate AF or my action blurred.

Despite of not practicing for a month or two, I still think that it relates to the 600 + 10D combo. I had tried Forrest’s MKII same day. It would be much capable for this purpose, I believe. Please also share with your opinion. Thanks.

These shots were taken in f8. The optically quality is sharper than 500 but not much. In fact, the USM mode used for 2nd photo should be over-sharpened if it was taken by 500 + 1.4x according to previous experience.

Isaac, me_domchan

Thanks for your comment. Happy and hope you will see their cutie faces again too.

« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2004, 2:20pm by Daniel CK Chan » Logged

Daniel CK Chan
me_domchan
BBS Administrator

I love bird watching!

« Reply #5 on: Jun 14th, 2004, 3:19pm »

Hi Daniel,  

May I know if you left Mai Po Natural Reserve at around 1200 noon yesterday? Cos I saw a couple with a big EF lens leaving MPNR when I was signing in at the AFCD office. Probably I met you?
Daniel CK Chan
BBS Member
BBS God

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 14th, 2004, 3:29pm »

on Jun 14th, 2004, 3:19pm, me_domchan wrote:
Hi Daniel,  

May I know if you left Mai Po Natural Reserve at around 1200 noon yesterday? Cos I saw a couple with a big EF lens leaving MPNR when I was signing in at the AFCD office. Probably I met you?

No, I was alone but met Forrest’s couple last Sat. We all left at around 11:30am. Maybe they are Forrest’s couple.

Daniel CK Chan
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

« Reply #7 on: Jun 14th, 2004, 3:38pm »

on Jun 14th, 2004, 2:16pm, Daniel CK Chan wrote:
... I had difficulties to track birds in flight with my 600 on 10D last Sat. I lost many and even was not able to catch with the birds flying towards and above me. The background was the same toned white or blue sky. The lens stopped hunting around when the object was OOF. It seems different from the experience with my previously owned 500. When I could take many photos though many of them would not be sharp (just) due to inaccurate AF or my action blurred.

Despite of not practicing for a month or two, I still think that it relates to the 600 + 10D combo. I had tried Forrest’s MKII same day. It would be much capable for this purpose, I believe. Please also share with your opinion. Thanks.

These shots were taken in f8. The optically quality is sharper than 500 but not much. In fact, the USM mode used for 2nd photo should be over-sharpened if it was taken by 500 + 1.4x according to previous experience.

Firstly, the usm motor probably has to work harder on moving a larger mass of glass in the 600 when focusing. Hunting is more likely when used with 10D and that coincide with my own experience too though mine is a non-IS version. Quicknes and ease of use go to the 500IS I must say. With the Mk II you will certainly see a vast improvement in the AF department; no doubt about that.  

What I really want to know is if you are happy with image sharpness with the the 600IS + 1.4x wide open?!  I find the 500IS sharper with same setup compared to my 600 non-IS. I have not noticed this when shooting with my 1v using slide. With Mk II I have yet to do a systematic test on this ...

KK Hui ARPS
Daniel CK Chan
BBS Member
BBS God

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 14th, 2004, 4:46pm »

on Jun 14th, 2004, 3:38pm, KK Hui wrote:

Firstly, the usm motor probably has to work harder on moving a larger mass of glass in the 600 when focusing. Hunting is more likely when used with 10D and that coincide with my own experience too though mine is a non-IS version. Quicknes and ease of use go to the 500IS I must say. With the Mk II you will certainly see a vast improvement in the AF department; no doubt about that.  

What I really want to know is if you are happy with image sharpness with the the 600IS + 1.4x wide open?!  I find the 500IS sharper with same setup compared to my 600 non-IS. I have not noticed this when shooting with my 1v using slide. With Mk II I have yet to do a systematic test on this ...

KK Hui ARPS

KK,  

Forrest had used my 10D with his 500IS for a shot (when I was using his MKII). I forgot whether I had deleted it or not. I will check and let you know my findings, if any.

Daniel

Daniel CK Chan
Daniel CK Chan
BBS Member
BBS God

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 14th, 2004, 11:25pm »

on Jun 14th, 2004, 3:38pm, KK Hui wrote:

KK Hui ARPS

KK,

This photo was shot with 600IS+1.4x wide open. I feel that it is sharper than 500IS, though it is not easy to determine in a web image. What do you think?...

107 Black-winged Stilt 黑翅長腳鷸
Mai Po 米埔  
12/6/2004  
EOS10D + EF600 IS + EF1.4II, ISO200, f5.6, 1/320
http://www.danielckchan.com/b20040091.jpg
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2004, 10:06am by BBS Moderators » Logged

Daniel CK Chan
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

« Reply #10 on: Jun 15th, 2004, 10:03am »

Thanks for posting this one, Daniel!
It looks nice and sharp to me. No problem there ...  

KK Hui ARPS
me_domchan
BBS Administrator

I love bird watching!

« Reply #11 on: Jun 15th, 2004, 10:08am »

KK,  

how to you like the sharpness of your MK 2 images?  

Thx  
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

« Reply #12 on: Jun 15th, 2004, 11:11am »

on Jun 15th, 2004, 10:08am, me_domchan wrote:
... how to you like the sharpness of your MK 2 images? ...

With my limited experience on the Mk II, all I can say is that the image shapness is great. In fact I get more sharp images with it than my prvious 10D due to Mk II's better AF.  

For your interest, a detailed review of the Mk II is at ...
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0406/04061401eos1dmkiireview.asp

KK Hui ARPS
Anguslau
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #13 on: Jun 15th, 2004, 5:47pm »

Hi Daniel,

Thanks so much for the great photos!  
Its time for me to visit MPNR again when the rain stops.    When I was there two weeks ago, I only saw several nests with eggs, some of them must have hatched already.

KK,

I also noticed that the 600 + 1.4x combo wide-open was sometimes not critically sharp. Most pictures were very sharp when stopped down by one stop and essentially all were sharp when stopped down by two stops. I got a bit worried and did some systemetic testing. What I found was that once a while I got an extremely sharp picture wide-open, contrast and sharpness were almost indistinguishable compared to those stopped down by two stops. So I can only conclude that it is slight mis-focus causing the blur, not an intrinsic problem with the lens itself. The "problem" was much less noticeable when photographing high contrast and/or close objects under good lighting. Hope the 1D Mark II is better in achieving accurate focus. In the mean time, I'll try to stop down by 1-2 stops whenever possible to increase my success rate.
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

« Reply #14 on: Jun 15th, 2004, 8:15pm »

on Jun 15th, 2004, 5:47pm, Anguslau wrote:
... I also noticed that the 600 + 1.4x combo wide-open was sometimes not critically sharp. Most pictures were very sharp when stopped down by one stop and essentially all were sharp when stopped down by two stops. I got a bit worried and did some systemetic testing. What I found was that once a while I got an extremely sharp picture wide-open, contrast and sharpness were almost indistinguishable compared to those stopped down by two stops. So I can only conclude that it is slight mis-focus causing the blur, not an intrinsic problem with the lens itself. The "problem" was much less noticeable when photographing high contrast and/or close objects under good lighting. Hope the 1D Mark II is better in achieving accurate focus. In the mean time, I'll try to stop down by 1-2 stops whenever possible to increase my success rate.

Angus,
Make a habit of stopping down by just one stop whenever 1.4x is used with your 600. You will get tack sharp images all the time except misfocused ones of course ...

Good shooting!

KK Hui ARPS

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.