BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 4th, 2024, 8:24am

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Photo Gallery 相片分享 I
(Moderators: George_Ho, Kwok Jai, BBS Moderators, Forrest FONG, carmen)
   Kowloon Park Peacock
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Kowloon Park Peacock  (Read 2043 times)
Etta
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

Re: Kowloon Park Peacock
« Reply #15 on: Jul 10th, 2006, 9:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks KK for your time and teaching, I've learnt a lot (KK had also taught me steps and tips other than the above quick guideline, I got to practice...)  

on Jul 10th, 2006, 6:27pm, Bob Thompson wrote:
KK, I think Etta will be thrilled with the result, I would be. Considering you are only working from her relatively lo-res web posting, it definetly shows what you can do in Photoshop, with so knowledge.

Would you consider running a short course on Photoshop techniques, if I remember rightly you held an evening lecture a year or so ago, but that was too short. I would be prepared to pay to learn some of your post shooting techniques

Bob

Yes, I do want to attend the workshop too!  
Fred
BBS Member
BBS God

Birds are fascinating!

« Reply #16 on: Jul 15th, 2006, 12:00pm »

Yes, a great idea about the PS workshop.  Hope KK has the time.  
Etta
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #17 on: Jul 29th, 2006, 3:13pm »

on Jul 8th, 2006, 8:49am, Bob Thompson wrote:
June 2006
Kowloon park
Digiscoped using Nikon 8400 camera and Swarovski ATS 80HD scope, 20-60x eyepiece and DCA adaptor - Manual focus

A test on digiscoped using Fujifilm F30 (hand held) and Carl Zeiss diascope 85T.  Image was cropped and scaled down to 60%.  No colour or sharpen edition.  This Hair-crested Drongo was sort of close.

It was not easy to point the camera to the centre of the eye piece by hand held.  A distance around 15-20 mm between camera len and eye piece was needed, otherwise couldn't focus.  The reflection of light on the eye piece would be photographed unless sheltered.  
Bob Thompson
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #18 on: Jul 29th, 2006, 3:58pm »

Etta,

Neil has a Fujifilm F30, I am sure he will respond with some useful tips for you. In the mean time have you tried making a cardboard collar so that the camera will fit securely to the scope.

Another tip is not to zoom very much with the scope eyepiece, on my Swarovski I never zoom more than 30x.

Also dont use a high ISO, 100 or 200 is fine although Neil has taken some at 800.

The photo of the peacock at the head of this thread is "cropped" from this shot

Etta
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #19 on: Jul 29th, 2006, 4:43pm »

on Jul 29th, 2006, 3:58pm, Bob Thompson wrote:
Etta,

Neil has a Fujifilm F30, I am sure he will respond with some useful tips for you. In the mean time have you tried making a cardboard collar so that the camera will fit securely to the scope.

Another tip is not to zoom very much with the scope eyepiece, on my Swarovski I never zoom more than 30x.

Also dont use a high ISO, 100 or 200 is fine although Neil has taken some at 800.

The photo of the peacock at the head of this thread is "cropped" from this shot

Dear Bob,

Thanks for all the precious advise and I'm hoping for Neil's advise on using the F30 too.    

The original photo of the peacock is marvellous.  In fact, I have been searching for a second hand CP8400 on the net...

Agree, I usually do not zoom the eyepiece (20X) and use ISO 200 (400 when needed) in order to take good quality photo.  Had took a try on zoom the eyepiece when testing the F30, it's funny, there appeared a 'swirl' effect on the photo background that the Nikon CP995 won't likely present.  Here attached sample:

« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2006, 4:49pm by Etta » Logged
Bob Thompson
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #20 on: Jul 29th, 2006, 4:58pm »

Strange effect Etta, it looks as though the camera rotated when you pushed the shutter
Etta
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #21 on: Jul 29th, 2006, 5:12pm »

on Jul 29th, 2006, 3:58pm, Bob Thompson wrote:
In the mean time have you tried making a cardboard collar so that the camera will fit securely to the scope.

I'd made one by a paper cup... got to improve it or buy an adaptor (economic one).  

(May ask help from Hendrix....)
Bob Thompson
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #22 on: Jul 29th, 2006, 5:16pm »

Etta,

Important thing to remember when using paper collar (toilet roll etc) is that the camera is set to STAY ON you dont want it to POWER OFF, other wise it may do damage to the lens but hitting the scope eyepiece
Etta
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #23 on: Jul 29th, 2006, 5:25pm »

on Jul 29th, 2006, 5:16pm, Bob Thompson wrote:
Etta,

Important thing to remember when using paper collar (toilet roll etc) is that the camera is set to STAY ON you dont want it to POWER OFF, other wise it may do damage to the lens but hitting the scope eyepiece

Thanks for reminding, I made the paper adaptor for this reason too.

Since F30 is a new model, I couldn't buy a spare battery at the moment, I let it auto off to safe power.  (Though it's a 1800mAh long life battery, can take photographs for hours.)
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2006, 5:40pm by Etta » Logged
Etta
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #24 on: Jul 29th, 2006, 5:35pm »

on Jul 29th, 2006, 4:58pm, Bob Thompson wrote:
Strange effect Etta, it looks as though the camera rotated when you pushed the shutter

It just like that... maybe not match with the zoomed eyepiece and produce a tele 'fish-eye' effect?

Another sample:
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.