BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 23rd, 2024, 6:27am

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Photo Gallery 相片分享 II
(Moderators: Kwok Jai, Forrest FONG, BBS Moderators)
   Brown-breasted Bulbul 黃臀鵯 (Jiangxi 江西)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Brown-breasted Bulbul 黃臀鵯 (Jiangxi 江西)  (Read 620 times)
Uncle_Tall
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

Brown-breasted Bulbul 黃臀鵯 (Jiangxi 江西)
« on: May 22nd, 2006, 9:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Brown-breasted Bulbul 黃臀鵯

20D + 400 + 1.4x
Wuyuan, Jiangxi 江西婺源
9 Dec 2005

看罷何大導的精采照片,既羡慕又妒忌, 謹此找些舊照獻醜獻醜

PS. The 400DO lens had been with us for two and half years. Not too many shots taken, not to mention good ones. Some people had questioned about the sharpness of this lens. We are convinced that at the same price as 500 f4, it is not as sharp as the Canon killer lens. Anyway with more practice, we believe more good handheld shot would be made possible.
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2006, 9:18pm by Uncle_Tall » Logged
John Holmes
BBS Member
BBS God

Re: Brown-breasted Bulbul 黃臀鵯 (Jiangxi 江西)
« Reply #1 on: May 23rd, 2006, 8:20am »

Uncle Tall,

We've had the 400mm DO lens for a couple of years and I must say we like it a lot, especially for travelling. It weighs 1.9 kg compared to 3.8 kg for the 500mm (but a lot less than 5.3 kg for the 600mm!).  

We found that 20D didn't always grab the focus of the 400mm DO as well as we would have hoped, especially in low forest light or for moving objects.  But we still got some good pictures (mainly in China) with the 20D/1.4/400 DO combination.  

Jemi was pleased with the results when she used the 400mm DO lens with a 10D a while ago. However, for about 18 months she used a 20D /300mm/1.4x while I used the 20D/1.4x/400mm DO. Sometimes, when we photographed the same bird, her shots were sharper !

It's not just the lens, of course, it's the camera and technique as well. I've recently upgraded to a 1D MK II. It is heavy, but it really pulls in the focus, and seems to get the most out of the lens.  I'll try to post a couple of recent examples on Photo Gallery 1.

John

http://johnjemi.hkbirds.net/
pippenho
BBS Member
BBS God

I'm loving eat!

Email

Re: Brown-breasted Bulbul 黃臀鵯 (Jiangxi 江西)
« Reply #2 on: May 23rd, 2006, 10:06am »

Uncle Tall

Nice shot, adjust the level and more sharpen in PS will bring out the details, and I agree with John that the camera body make a lot of differences.

Pippen
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.