BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 4th, 2024, 2:29pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Special Topics 特別主題
   Black-faced Spoonbill 黑臉琵鷺
(Moderators: Yat-tung YU, BBS Moderators)
   Black-faced Spoonbills in Changle, Fujian
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Black-faced Spoonbills in Changle, Fujian  (Read 604 times)
HKBWS Office
BBS Member
BBS God

WWW Email

Black-faced Spoonbills in Changle, Fujian
« on: Mar 21st, 2003, 4:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Message extracted about Black-faced Spoonbill in Changle for your reference.

Quote"

From Mr Simba Chan on 21 Mar 2003 "...Changle, where the Black-faced Spoonbills were found on 1 March 2003, is not a municipality. It is a city (county-level city) under the administration of Fuzhou City (a prefecture-level city). Municipalities are province-level cities in China. There are four municipalities in China: Beijing, Shanghai, Tianjin and Chongqing.

Hong Kong and Macau are regarded as Special Administration Regions (Province-level).  
"Unquote

----------------------------
Quote"  

Subject: [APMW] Re: [OB] Black-faced Spoonbills in Changle Municipality,Fujian Province
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 11:42:13 +0900
To: Michael Rank, orientalbirding@yahoogroups.com, goodbird@heinfo.net
CC: apmw@erin.gov.au,"Ueta J. Mutsuyuki, WBSJ",Qian Fawen  

Dear Michael and all,

I would like to add a note on the record of Black-faced Spoonbills below. The survey below was part of the joint survey conducted by the National Bird Banding Center, China and the Wild Bird Society of Japan, on behalf of a bilateral cooperation of migratory waterbird conservation between the State Forestry Administration, People's Republic of China and the Ministry of the Environment, Japan.

WWF Hong Kong has done a lot on conservation of Black-faced Spoonbills and should be appreciated. However, I would like to clarify that this is not a WWF project.

The photos on the WWF website were apparently taken at Mai Po, Hong Kong.

Min Jiang Estuary is not a new site to this species. Many specimens of Black-faced Spoonbills were collected at this area since late 19th century. One (or two - as one without a tag) specimen kept at the North East Forestry University, Harbin, China was collected in June 1959. The reason for the lack of record in recent years was probably due to the lack of waterbird researchers in Fujian Province, China.

Simba Chan
Wild Bird Society of Japan

------------------------

At 20:46 03/03/20 +0000, Michael Rank wrote:
>  From the WWF HK newsletter,
>
>Michael
>
>Black-faced Spoonbills were seen in Changle Municipality, Fujian Province
>
>
>Two black-faced spoonbills were seen in Tangtou Town at Minjiang
>Estuary ( 26 01.757'N, 119 37.573'E), on 1 March 2003 at 9:10am, when
>Fujian Forestry Department and National Bird-ringing Centre were
>carrying out a waterbird survey at the coastal area of Changle
>Municipality, Fujian Province.
>
><http://www.wwf.org.hk/chi/maipo/updates/index.html>http://www.wwf.org .hk/chi/maipo/updates/index.html
>Chinese
><http://www.wwf.org.hk/eng/maipo/updates/index.html>http://www.wwf.org .hk/eng/maipo/updates/index.html
>(English version)

"Unquote
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2003, 11:19pm by BBS Moderators » Logged

From the HKBWS Office
Xianji Wen

Email

Re: Black-faced Spoonbills in Changle, Fujian
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27th, 2003, 10:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Response to Simba Chan's first email for your reference, which was sent to him on 24th March 2003.

Dear Simba,

Thank you very much for your note to the OB and APMW listservers about the Black-faced Spoonbills which were seen at Changle Municipality, Fujian Province, which appeared on the  WWF Hong Kong's website a couple of days ago. On behalf of WWF Hong Kong, I would like to give you some explanations for the news.

As you said in your e-mail, WWF Hong Kong are involved in Black-faced Spoonbill conservation work and whenever there is good news about the species, we would like to spread it amongst our members and anyone else who may be interested. Therefore, when we heard about the news of the Spoonbills in Changle, we decided to place the information on our WWF Hong Kong website to spread the news quickly and widely.  We did not mentioned that the discovery was  from a WWF Hong Kong project or was financially supported by WWF Hong Kong,  although WWF Hong Kong is helping the Fujian Provincial Forestry Department to conduct a migratory waterbird survey along the coastline of Fujian Province both technically and financially.  

The source of the news was clearly indicated on our website---- the text was written by Qian Fawen, Liu Bofeng, Zhang Guogang, Yang Zhonglan. This is an exception----you may also notice that almost all other news in WWF Hong Kong's website did not indicated the source. From the information WWF Hong Kong received, Mr. Qian Fawen is a staff of National Bird Banding Center, and the three others are from the Fujian Forestry Department or its affiliated institution. The text also wrote clearly "when Fujian Forestry Department and National Bird-ringing Centre were carrying out a waterbird survey at the costal area of Changle Municipality, Fujian Province".

It is right that the photos were taken at Mai Po, not at Minjiang Estuary. The purpose was to put a couple of photos with the news  to make more interesting, and let public to understand Black-faced Spoonbills more.  

We are happy that Wild Bird Society of Japan is helping and supporting some of China's conservation work through different projects. WWF Hong Kong is also happy to be involved into some of conservation work in China, and hopes that both organizations can have more communications and have opportunities to work more closely in the future. In fact, WWF Hong Kong and the Fujian Provincial Forestry Department will hold a workshop in Fuzhou from 23rd-27th April 2003 to identify the important wetlands along the coastline in Fujian. We would be very happy if someone from Wild Bird Society of Japan could attend the workshop.

Best regards,

Xianji Wen
WWF Hong Kong
Simba Chan

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 27th, 2003, 9:17pm »

Sorry if my e-mail has cuased some misunderstanding. My only purpose was to clarify the incomplete information posted at the OBC mailing list.  

Of cousre I appreciate the conservation efforts of WWF.

Simba Chan
Qian Fawen

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 9th, 2003, 10:21pm »

This is the first time I come here. Simba send me the homepage for the BFS. I am one of the guys who found two BFS on tidalflat at Changle in Fujian Province. I attach one photo here which I took by digital camera through telescope. It is not a good picture, but it tells us there are BFS there.  

Qian Fawen 錢法文

Fujian 福建省 01/3/2003
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2003, 11:38pm by BBS Moderators » Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.