BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jul 3rd, 2024, 9:31pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Special Topics 特別主題
   Wild Birds & Avian Flu 野鳥與禽流感
(Moderators: BBS Moderators, Webcreeper, Forrest FONG)
   Close MPNR  關閉米埔自然保護區
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Close MPNR  關閉米埔自然保護區  (Read 2411 times)
gjcarey
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

Re: Close MPNR  關閉米埔自然保護區
« Reply #15 on: Feb 3rd, 2004, 11:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have emailed AFCD on this, and sent the following message:

"I have seen your letter to Mai Po Marshes Permit Holders. I am afraid that I believe the AFCD advice to temporarily stop all birdwatching activities to be an over-reaction and unnecessary. There is absolutely no evidence that casually observing wild birds can lead to the contraction of bird flu. This advice sends completely the wrong message to birdwatchers and the public, i.e. that wild birds are carriers of fatal disease and should be shunned.

The same message is sent by the government in closing the reserve. That is bad enough. But for AFCD to suggest that simply being in the vicinity of birds is a risk to health is wholly inappropriate. The problem is the proximity of domestic poultry to humans and to wild birds, and not the proximity of wild birds to humans. Sensible caution is required, but not panic."

Geoff
john

Email

« Reply #16 on: Feb 3rd, 2004, 12:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The statement of AFCD to stop all bird watching activities is totally an over-reaction and sending a wrong message to the public and not understanding the fact of bird watching activity.

I will also email AFCD to voice my objection!

John
carmen
BBS Member
BBS God

Life is Simple. Eat Sleep Bird!!

Email

« Reply #17 on: Feb 3rd, 2004, 6:16pm »

Shocked!!
Bob Thompson
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #18 on: Feb 3rd, 2004, 7:47pm »

Geoff,

I agree with your email, but shouldn't we be careful about saying wild birds don't have fatal disease

http://www.oie.int/eng/info/hebdo/AIS_35.HTM#Sec0

http://www.google.com.hk/search?q=cache:CSNHDhlHqo4J:www.afcd.gov.hk/qua rantine/vetnews/download/oiebirds.pdf+heron+h5n1&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

But this survey shows that your chance of coming in contact with a bird carrying H5N1 is low

http://www.google.com.hk/search?q=cache:N9fllO9-HREJ:www.afcd.gov.hk/qua rantine/vetnews/posth5n1.pdf+heron+h5n1&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Bob
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2004, 7:58pm by Bob Thompson » Logged
gjcarey
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

« Reply #19 on: Feb 4th, 2004, 11:42am »

Bob

Nobody is saying birds don't carry fatal diseases. Just as dogs carry rabies and humans typhoid, birds can carry a variety of different forms of influenza (just as humans do). But, this does not mean that we should stop going out birdwatching for fear of getting bird flu. That is wholly unnecessary. Like Simba, I would be more concerned about what I might get from the person next to me on an aircraft than the possibility of catching any form of avian flu from the birds I see around me, whether at Mai Po or anywhere else.

Geoff
Bob Thompson
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #20 on: Feb 4th, 2004, 12:23pm »

Thanks Geoff

As I said in my earlier posts I agree with your email.

There seems to be no justification to stop birdwatching

Bob
BLee
BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

I love snowgoose.

« Reply #21 on: Feb 4th, 2004, 12:48pm »

I will continue birdwatching!!!
Barry

BLee
深藍 Owen
BBS Administrator

LOVE KINGFISHER~!

339353245 339353245    

« Reply #22 on: Feb 4th, 2004, 4:31pm »

I just want to rasied another question.

Can we do anything if they want to keep MPNR close on March?
As most of u understand that March is a important month for bird watch in Hong Kong. (Actaully February also).

I do really worried that they will extend such decision not just this month or next month.  They will asked for MPNR close EVERY WINTER if we don't voice out.

It's real sad for me as this is the first year I join bird watching activties.....

Email

« Reply #23 on: Feb 4th, 2004, 6:12pm »

I am worried about closing Mai Po in March too... I was doing a Biology project on Mai Po in school just now, and I was shocked to find that the whole Biology class (including the teacher) was afraid to go to Mai Po, and think that the birds there really carry avian flu...

I'd thought they'd understand... But no, the public are so scared of avian flu... and they blame the migratory birds... because of the government's decision? I don't know...

Lucky I visited the Oriental White Stork in Mai Po just before it closed... (on the day it was announced that it'd close, actually~)

Janice
William

Email

« Reply #24 on: Feb 5th, 2004, 3:48pm »

Origin of bird flu?

The government was surprisely efficient in deciding to close MP and other bird gardens.  But is it effective in preventing bird flu in HK?  I have reservation!

Are we more likely to contact bird flu from wild birds?  My view is less than that from poultry.  But the Government has successfully implanted on the public the idea that migratory bird is the disease carrier by closing MP.  How bad it is.

We, as birdwatchers, know that birds migrate from the north before winter comes.  Peak seasons are around Sept and Oct.  They either stayed in HK throughout winter or go further south.  It is now February and I doubt how many birds are still migrating.  If migratory birds are origin of bird flu, bird flu shouldn’t be started earlier?  Bird flu shouldn’t be more widely spread?  So, to blame migratory bird bringing in the disease is un-sounded.  The government (or at least AFCD) also knows this but remain silent.  I’m not going to blame AFCD for not telling the public about this fact because they may only act as instructed!  I’ really felt sorry for them.  

I have been thinking of the question that bird flu have already been residing in our environment.  Discovering bird flu in HK in 1997 is just the tip of the iceberg.  God know how much earlier it has been living between us.  Does it like human flu which outbreak periodically among birds?  I do believe that bird flu occurs neutrally in birds, both in wild birds and poultry!  And because poultry and captive birds are caged, spread of flu is more easy and they are more vulnerable to bird flu.

Going back to my first question.  Origin of bird flu?  Because no countries would be that stupid to admit they are origin of bird flu, someone else have to be blamed.   Well, wild bird is the most appropriate victim.  Birds migrate; birds can fly and spread the disease.  It so easy to accuse them and people would believe.  How wonderful!  

If HK Government is to accuse wild bird spreading the disease, then I have to blame the Government for not taking effective measures to protect us.  Birds fly; birds are everywhere in HK, what have the Government do?  

We DO easily contact poultry!  We can’t easily come close to wild bird!  
Forrest FONG
BBS Administrator

I love Bird Watching!

Email

Re-opening of Mai Po 好消息!米埔重開!
« Reply #25 on: Mar 17th, 2004, 6:37pm »

好消息!得到漁農自然護理處通知,米埔將於明日(三月十八日)重開!快快拿出望遠鏡到米埔觀鳥吧!

GOOD NEWS! As informed by AFCD, Mai Po will be re-opened on 18/3/2004.

Forrest

« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2004, 6:44pm by Forrest FONG » Logged

FF
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.