Thread
Print

[Gulls] Large gulls in Victoria Harbor

This has been a terrific winter for gulls in and around the harbour Neil. Your birds (at least the closer ones, look like Heuglin's Gulls to me

• There have been around 30 Black-tailed Gulls loafing not he islet opposite the Disney pier in Discovery Bay for at least 2 weeks and I've seen up to 10 of both Black-tailed and Heuglin's Gulls all the way into the ferry piers over the last couple of days.

• I understand Paul Leader also had 200 south of Lantau on Saturday and

• Martin Williams had his first ever Black-tailed Gulls of Cheung Chau at the weekend as well.

• I have also had Heuglin's, Black-headed and Black-tailed Gulls from my sea watch point at the Magic Roundabout and even had a Heuglin's Gull flying across the golf course last week.

• 3 weeks ago I also had 50-odd Black-headed Gulls off Tai O

A look back at the Avifauna associates gulls away from Mai Po with the presence of sewage in the harbour and Lamma Channel. I wonder if there's something we don't know . . .

Please do post any more records of gulls away from Deep Bay that I have missed.

Cheers
Mike

[ Last edited by kmike at 10/03/2014 22:08 ]
Mike KilburnVice Chairman, HKBWSChairman, Conservation Committee

Many thanks for this background Geoff.
Since the focus for this thread is birds away from Deep Bay it would be interesting to strip the Deep Bay records out and see what these charts look like.

Is this possible - at least for the peak B-t Gull years?

Cheers
Mike

PS the last two pix are of juvenile Black-tailed Gulls.

[ Last edited by kmike at 11/03/2014 23:56 ]
Mike KilburnVice Chairman, HKBWSChairman, Conservation Committee

Thread