Thread
Print

[Indoor] 4/11/15室內講座Ind Mtg:Decline & Growth for HK Land Birds 1990 to 2014

Hi Geoff,

Some comments as you are asking...

When I first started birdwatching in HK I often used to see white-cheeked laughing thrush on Braemar Hill, HK Island in the late 1980s, early 1990s.  I don't imagine there are many records there now as the vegetation has changed a lot, much less grass and scrub now.  [They were a regular feature in Lam Tsuen but I imagine they will begin to struggle as development continues.]

Sooty-headed Bulbul was regular at Braemar.  Winter visitors included black-faced bunting, E woodcock, Rubythroat.  I was very excited to see my first Scimitar Babbler at Braemar in 1988/89.  They were beginning to become more common around Aberdeen CP at that time.  Obviously these are now widespread.  Silver-eared Mesia were often about and I heard SE mesia singing down at Tin Hau temple road last week so they may well have established there.

I am curious about Chinese Francolin.  I used to see and more often hear it at Braemar.  I imagine it too will have been affected by the habitat developing into forest.

I hope I get along to the talk, it sounds very interesting.

Dylan

[ Last edited by subbuteo at 28/10/2015 16:10 ]

A very interesting talk, thank you to all involved.  Clearly an enormous amount of work was done behind the scenes to analyse the data for presentation.  It really shows the importance of submitting records.

Dylan

Thread