Also on Lamma today.
Neil
Nikon D3 and Nikon 300/2.8 AFS VR lens and Nikon 1.4x teleconverter

Lamma Island,
Hong Kong,
China.
25/11/09

Attachment

rufous tailed robin c_DSC9845_1.jpg (133.06 KB)

25/11/2009 22:30

rufous tailed robin c_DSC9845_1.jpg

A stunning photo (of one of my favourite birds!).

A beautiful bird. Still prefer the old name of Nightingale though.

Nightingale (Luscinia megarhynchos) and Rufous-tailed Robin (Luscinia sibilans) are two different species.

One of the old names for Rufous-tailed Robin was Swinhoe's Pseudorobin. That's a great name.

Some of the latest research suggests that the species is not as close to Nightingales as previously though, and should be separated into a different genus Larvivora (this also applies to Siberian Blue Robin, and some other related species).

It certainly doesn't sound like a real Nightingale, but the observer who found Britain's second, last Friday at Wells in Norfolk, was I'm sure glad it was one of these, not 'just' a Nightingale.

Actually on a recent trip to Ethiopia, during very heavy, and wonderful, spring migration through the region, I was struck by how similar Thrush Nightingale Luscinia luscinia is in jizz at least to Rufous-tailed Robin. It certainly was in comparison to the large, rangey, long-winged, long-tailed Eastern Nightingales Luscinia (megarhynchos) golzii, which were more numerous on migration. You wouldn't have imagined them in the same genus.

Mike Turnbull

Luscinia whatever

Neil,

Nice shot !

John
http://johnjemi.hk

I could have sworn that they were formerly call some kind of Nightingale in days of old. Having seen several Thrush Nightingales in the UK, the bird photographed does seem quite similar, especially with the sullied grey underparts.

Thread